Towbar checks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As an mot tester we get regular emails etc..from DVSA,the latest of which may concern yourself.It looks like from sept 2019 they're going to be carrying out a year of roadside checks on over 2,000 trailers inc caravans and horse box,might be worth a double check?
Please note-they WILL NOT be interested in if your fridge is working or leisure battery charger :cheer: they will only be interested in security of towbar security lights on trailer working.
Happy and safe travels :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up Brasso, we always check the lights, indicators and brake lights before we tow (it's the closest Herself ever comes to driving) but the likelihood of checks is well worth knowing. :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I suspect that they're going to be looking more at the way it's attached,hitch head/break away cable attachment etc and lights correct,as you say,I would assume/hope most people check all tail lights before set off.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
I suspect that they're going to be looking more at the way it's attached,hitch head/break away cable attachment etc and lights correct,as you say,I would assume/hope most people check all tail lights before set off.

Given that 13 pin sockets are now part of the MOT, you would hope that most modern installations would have no issues. You do, however see some older trailers where, either some of the lights aren't working, or they all come on like a like a Christmas tree.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
In our part of the east muds we have a cattle market every tuesday and horse sales every couple of months the DVSA do turn up doing spot checks I've seen several farmers being pulled , some of these trailers look to be in a right state with ramps tied up with bailing string and with all the urine fron animals that goes through the trailer floor on to the braking system , DVSA will be very busy.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We would welcome more roadside checks which hopefully includes a check of the weight of the unit and a check if you have the appropriate driver's licence. BTW I am told that they will not weigh a trailer on its own, but when it is connected to the towing vehicle.
We have a detachable towbar and the 13pin electrical connection swivels up out of the way. I wonder if the tester will still check the connection?
I have read a few reports where the vehicle has failed on the 13 pin connection test, but when connected to an actual trailer all the lights have performed faultlessly? Is this something to do with some harnesses in the car being adapted for a caravan that has LED lights therefore the MOT tester's light board will not operate correctly?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The rules used to be,if no towball fitted then it's not a towbar,(think,if you remove the ball only,then all that's left is brackets). The rules now are,if there's brackets etc..then whatever's there is tested,your electrics (13 pin only)will be tested.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
This is just another unban myth being put out there , the DVSA do not have enough qualifed personnel to meet the demands of testing LGV''s never mind chasing caravanners and peole taking their brood to gymkhana event, find something better to do like catching all the dodgy trucks coming in from europe

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
BUT even so wise caravanners will check-also check the towbar is firmly attached to the vehicle-our chassis bolts worked themselves undone-i always tread on the ball to check but it was dropping-not till i lifted it that i felt is moving up and down-could have been very nasty!!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of reports of checks on line and from what I can gather they are usually at motorway services and you only get pulled in for a check if you come off the motorway to stop there. Others may know better though.
I think they are few and far between, but they are given press coverage to keep people on their toes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
There are plenty of reports of checks on line and from what I can gather they are usually at motorway services and you only get pulled in for a check if you come off the motorway to stop there. Others may know better though.
I think they are few and far between, but they are given press coverage to keep people on their toes.

I was overtaken by a police motorcycle patrol on a dual carriageway near Ringwood and signed for me to follow him. He led me to a DVSA weighbridge where we got the “ full monte”. So it’s a myth that only those at services will get examined.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
Raywood said:

I was overtaken by a police motorcycle patrol on a dual carriageway near Ringwood and signed for me to follow him. He led me to a DVSA weighbridge where we got the “ full monte”. So it’s a myth that only those at services will get examined.

What did that involve? was it a full hands and knees inspection of the car & caravan or just weights?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
Raywood said:

What did that involve? was it a full hands and knees inspection of the car & caravan or just weights?

I have described it in several posts before but it was a thorough check of both car and caravan as well as the weights being taken on the weighbridge. Like they would have known the car was MoT but of course things change so it was given a pretty thorough look over too.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
In our part of the east muds we have a cattle market every tuesday and horse sales every couple of months the DVSA do turn up doing spot checks I've seen several farmers being pulled , some of these trailers look to be in a right state with ramps tied up with bailing string and with all the urine fron animals that goes through the trailer floor on to the braking system , DVSA will be very busy.
Sounds like my part of the east muds. The smell of P around cattle market phew.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
After the recalls on landrover detachable towbars, for loose connections, cir, 2015 onwards. I decided Fixed towbars were best. That way i always know when i am fully at the back of the garage.

• Haha
Reactions: Anseo and DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
After the recalls on landrover detachable towbars, for loose connections, cir, 2015 onwards. I decided Fixed towbars were best. That way i always know when i am fully at the back of the garage.
Ha ha Same with my Omega fixed tow ball, went back until until I (genitally) hit garage wall. Could close door then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts