Towbar type

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a removable Witter on my Vectra, a few years ago, it was great but I found at times removal was a bit awkward after, a bit of road grime and exhaust soot. Landrover Freelanders with detachable tow bars had I think a recall about 5 years ago due to clearence of fitment.

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Hello all. I'm new to caravaning and after some information. We have ordered our new caravan and it comes with a AL-KO AKS stabiliser. Do I need Nox Vidmate VLC a certain type of towbar for the stabiliser. I have seen online that a swan neck towbar is reccommended but I am not sure. Cheers
it very clear preferably in writing that the new installation must have full fridge and charging wiring and that the vehicle specific wiring loom MUST be used. It should also be confirmed that the installer will reprogram the Engine Management Unit else such as bulb failure and stability control will not work.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You will need to ask the towbar fitter to ensure that the towball is compatible with a Alko stabiliser. it does not have to be swan necked. Decide if you want a fixed ball or a detachable ball. It is the slightly extended neck that is required as this allows clearance for the stabiliser pads to move without interference. Here’s a picture from Alko website of a fixed towball.

https://www.alko-tech.com/uk/towball

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just had a Westphalia fitted to the Touareg. The rear cross member is gone and the tow bar in its place. The towing eye Clive mentions is included but maybe not for every one. The tow swan neck is detachable. Waste of time if you ask me but I had no choice.AsDave A1 says you have to get down on your knees to attach it . It is heavy and maybe as I get more used to it the easier it will become.the 13 pin socket is buried deep and again needs a kneel down but It isn’t too difficult. My fitter, spent about 20 minutes taking through his lap top connected to the cars ECU.
No bleeping when indicating now. If a bulb fails a warning comes up on the dash.
Finally no dealer I know fits tow bars . They bring in an expert and add on 25% or what😢😢
i have a Volkswagen Tiguan like Dusty says you have no choice but i find it a problem getting down to putting it on .When i do it, it stays on all summer because i find the detachable towbar heavy to take off .The 13pin electric socket folds down i have a problem with that i find it too near the bumper
My last car i had a fixed and the 13pin electric socket was no problem

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whatever towbar you have find out if it replaces the cars rear cross member. If it does ask if the towbar contains the fixing hole for cars recovery eye bolt. If it doesn’t you will need to ensure that you carry the detachable towball with you. My Volvo towbar did not remove the cross member but my Skoda and Subaru did. But their spare wheel mounts include a place to store the towball if it is detachable.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you use a tow bar fitter they will normally talk you through the options and make sure that you get what you need as they do it all day long. The problems tend to arise when you order from a motor dealer where they do very few and you may get a salesman who has no experience of towing at all and simply quotes the manufacturers standard fitment. It is then that you have to ask for the ALKO hitch compatible tow ball and additional wiring for the caravan. and make sure that this is written into the order.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Where my Volkswagen Tiguan from a motor dealer my Westfalia Detachable Swanneck Towbar & 13 pin Socket would be in the excess of £1,000
But i had a Mobile Towbar Fitter come to my Bungalow and he fitted the same plus coded it in it was cheaper and it comes with a lifetime warranty .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts