Jul 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Is there something particular i should look for when buying / fitting a towbar? Is there a good towbar and a bad towbar? I beleive you can get towbars that allow you to cool your fridge whilst driving. Is that standard?

Thanks

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All tow bars now have to be made to a specific standard, so with that in mind any tow bar will do. What you need to think about is what type you require. Do you mind having the tow bar visible all the time, or would you prefer it hidden? Are you using an alko stabiliser as these need a slightly different tow ball? And lastly, it's your electrics that provide power to your fridge. Your going to need both 12s and 12n sockets mounted with your tow bar, they are not particularly expensive so it's probably best to get them both fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would be a bit more careful in making a choice of towbar. The standard that Lol is referring to covers the towbar assembly only and not its attachment to the vehicle. I know of cases where a towbar, although type approved, failed on a vehicle because it caused failure of the underbody structure. The towbar itself was OK but because a necessary reinforcement inside the car's frame was not supplied in the kit, the sheet metal of the car's underbody cracked. For this reason, a towbar which is marketed by an independent manufacturer is always a slightly risky business. I'm not saying you should only buy factory approved towbars but do make sure that the attachment components (bolts, washers, reinforcement plates, etc.) at least appear to be similar to the original.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would be a bit more careful in making a choice of towbar. The standard that Lol is referring to covers the towbar assembly only and not its attachment to the vehicle. I know of cases where a towbar, although type approved, failed on a vehicle because it caused failure of the underbody structure. The towbar itself was OK but because a necessary reinforcement inside the car's frame was not supplied in the kit, the sheet metal of the car's underbody cracked. For this reason, a towbar which is marketed by an independent manufacturer is always a slightly risky business. I'm not saying you should only buy factory approved towbars but do make sure that the attachment components (bolts, washers, reinforcement plates, etc.) at least appear to be similar to the original.
That's interesting Lutz, as far as I know in the UK the manufacturer of the tow bars must use all the fixing points on the car to attach the frame of the tow bar. Why would a car manufacturer fit points on the car that need further reinforcement from the tow bar manufacturer?

Not a "challenge Lutz", I know you know much more than I do about this stuff, but a question none the less.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts