Towcar engine power torque upgrading.

Jul 18, 2007
Visit site
Hello.

My Mame is Nick Gower from Midland Performance in Hinckley Leicester. One of my customers told me about this site , he said some other member would be intrested in my services. so here I am.

I would like to offer members discounted rates for ecu remapping.

REMAPPING? = Unlocking the power restriction set by car dealers.

ECU remapping is where we re-write the map information in the a cars ecu, this in return unlocks the cars power allowing more torque and BHP. So no more slowing down at hills, less gear changes, and fuel saving of around 12MPG. I remap is 100% legal and we are fully back by the TUV. This will not affect the engine life at all, you would need to tell your insurance about the remap.

We can offer remaps for cars on todays roads.

I am offering one free remapping session for any MOD or member, In return all I ask is for some feedback and promotion via this web site and members. I will also offer upto 30% discounts on all remaps for members. With full money back if your not happy.

My own tow car is a Zafira 2.0DTI 100bhp standard, for a standard 2.0dti engine I was very unhappy with the power output, up hill I was forever changing down gears and a trip upto lake Bala seemed to go on for ever, after 3 hours driving I felt drain.

After the remap the car feels totally differnt, more of a joy to drive. with the new power up to 140BHP with another 60Nm of torque to hold the speed up the hills with out changing down gears all the time less fuel used. Overall a much safer drive.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

with regards

Nick Gower

MPR UK

email

www.bigbhp.com

nick@bigbhp.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Not only blatant advertising but the writer also fails to point out serious pitfalls - possible loss of warranty coverage, failure to point out that while the car may go quicker it can't stop any better, no indication whether transmission and/or suspension components are capable of handling the increased power output, possible need for tyres with a higher speed rating, etc., etc.

How a blanket statement that the modification has full backing of the TUV is beyond me. Besides, approval of the car manufacturer would be required, too.

It's all very dubious.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Not only blatant advertising but the writer also fails to point out serious pitfalls - possible loss of warranty coverage, failure to point out that while the car may go quicker it can't stop any better, no indication whether transmission and/or suspension components are capable of handling the increased power output, possible need for tyres with a higher speed rating, etc., etc.

How a blanket statement that the modification has full backing of the TUV is beyond me. Besides, approval of the car manufacturer would be required, too.

It's all very dubious.
Come on Mr Mod

remove tnhis abuse from the forum please.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Lutz... I have to assume you have never driven a car which has been chipped. Our Renault has been chipped and there is no downside for us. Our MPG has gone from low 30's average to mid 40's average. The pulling ability has improved loads! The top speed is not too different as the engine is only fuelled differently and the red line has not been changed. Ok acceleration has improved but the extra loads on the suspension and transmission are minimal when compared to the loads and forces when the car is towing and having to stop with the extra weight of the van. Warranty issues are only relevent if the chip or remap are seen or found by the servicing garage. The chip I have can be un-plugged in 2 minutes so the garage are non the wiser if we take it for servicing. Dont mention about the computer they plug into the ECU of the car as it only shows fault codes generated in the last 20-30 engine start up's. I am in the motor industry with motorsport so I know what we can and cannot do with regards manufacturers.Also if you have a chip fitted but the Aircon stops working or a problem NOT associated with the fitting of a chip then the dealer will honour any warranty related problem.

I will be fitting a chip straight on to the next new car we have as the benefits are well worth the cost involved in buying one and the money will be recouped with the extra fuel economy. Mitsubishi offer a chip upgrade on many of their cars as a dealer fit extra, so I have no problem with using one.

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
what i don't understand is how you can get better mpg and more power if it is possible why is it that vw say that if I buy the 170bhp it will do less mpg than my 140bhp

I must be missing something

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
I cant see how fuel consumption can improve. Even with a Chrysler approved Mopar upgrade for the Crossfire Chrysler dealer admitted that fuel consumption would increase.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We had a chip fitted to an Alhambra and there was a definite noticeable improvement in MPG.

If we used the new available power to its max all the time I have no doubt that the economy would be worse but we don't we just appreciate the extra torque when towing.

This is more about manufacturing tolerances than reliability.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
We had a chip fitted to an Alhambra and there was a definite noticeable improvement in MPG.

If we used the new available power to its max all the time I have no doubt that the economy would be worse but we don't we just appreciate the extra torque when towing.

This is more about manufacturing tolerances than reliability.
Garry is right. The added torque is the biggest benefit as you change gear less and can even feel the difference in throttle position with your foot. You are not pressing the throttle as far and it shows with better fuel economy. But as pointed out if you use full throttle everywhere then it will be worse. We now get the same MPG towing as we did solo!!

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Garry is right. The added torque is the biggest benefit as you change gear less and can even feel the difference in throttle position with your foot. You are not pressing the throttle as far and it shows with better fuel economy. But as pointed out if you use full throttle everywhere then it will be worse. We now get the same MPG towing as we did solo!!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
I guess the reason this post has not been removed yet is that the three mods are fighting for who gets the free upgrade ;-)

On chipping in general I would agree with Lutz 100%. I used to fit these things a few years ago now when it was no longer possible to do old fashion type tuning like gas flowing, blue printing, high lift cams etc. There is little doubt they work although I doubt most people get the results they are promised, it always used to be that way anyway. A lot of the chip fitting process is in the sales. When I was fitting them to Audi / VW's we used a company called MTM, some of you may be familiar I'm sure Lutz will have heard of them. I did a weeks training on MTM products in Germany and 50% of the course was sales, I recon I could have convinced my granny that a chip fitted to her teapot would have given her a better cuppa !. :eek:)

As far as being undetectable, a friend of mine is currently nursing a three grand bill for work to his Audi RS4 that had been chipped. He did not know of a problem particularly he thought the car was just in need of the service it was due for but to cut a long story short the Audi dealer, on a routine systems check, found a fault and ultimately sussed the 'undetectable' chip. No warranty could be applied and when the guy approached the chip company he was hit with the words we all dread like 'no what we actually said was' and 'I think you misunderstood' etc etc.

Another friend who runs a independent VW workshop always says you can tell instantly the cars that have been chipped by the difference in the way they drive against a standard car. this is worth bearing in mind when you take your 'undetectable chipped car' in for service, I know we like to ridicule mechanics but some are actually quite bright.

Me I would always buy a vehicle that did the job I wanted it to do in its standard form, but each to there own.

May 17, 2007
Visit site
i have a 2006 mitsubishi shogun with the factory power chip allready on , i test drove two identical cars one with one without and the one with was a much better drive. I rarley go above 70 mph but i now never have to slow down on the big long hills with my van on tow.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Why is Martyn right about buying a bigger car? More power and torque are OK but if it can be more fuel efficient and use a smaller engine than the big'un why swap?

The guy who has a problem with his Audi RS4 is not really comparable as the RS4 is a petrol engine which is critical for mixture and ignition. The diesel engine is not it critical as it combusts with no ignition source once the pre heaters have got the engine started and less fuel or injection timing changes only effect the RPM and power output. The engine has no throttle like a petrol engine so the intake is wide open at all times like a petrol car with the pedal pushed all the way down! The diesel throttle only controls how much fuel is sprayed into the motor. Diesels work in a different way to petrol engines and are not to be compared to each other when chip tuning is involved.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If it were all that simple the car makers would have got on the bandwagon long ago and either offered chip tuning either as a regular production option or as an accessory in the aftersales market. After all, why should they leave such easy profits to someone else. There has to be a catch in it somewhere.

May 17, 2007
Visit site
If it were all that simple the car makers would have got on the bandwagon long ago and either offered chip tuning either as a regular production option or as an accessory in the aftersales market. After all, why should they leave such easy profits to someone else. There has to be a catch in it somewhere.
mitsubishi do offer a power chip

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz, Volvo used to produce the 5 cyliner 2.4 petrol engine as a 140 bhp or a 170 bhp, identical engine, but you would pay over a grand extra for the latter, easy way for Volvo to make money. I had my 140bhp re maped, not chiped to 180bhp, and it made a vast difference to the cars performance, both the 140 & the 170 bhp leave the factory with identical running gear, brakes etc.

Allan & Gill.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

As pointed out Mitsubishi do offer a chipped option and so do a couple of other makes. The cars are specced round the lowest quality diesel oil available in that region's market. So if you plan on driving through Poland or Albania where the fuel is not as good then having the chipped car and spending a couple of months there may not be a good idea. One or two tanks of fuel would be ok but not long term.Cars in the USA do not run the latest versions of the common rail diesel engines as the quality of the fuel clogs the injectors and can damage the fuel injection system so diesel is not the same the world over.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Yes Lutz they are quite correct most dealers offer chipping and for sure if people feel the need for such an upgrade this is by far and away the option to take for the sake of any future comeback. Although dealers by-and -large sub-contract to outside companies.

Rich I'm a bit confused, which isn't unusual, I never mentioned diesel engines in my post at all and did not compare the Audi with a diesel. The point in mentioning the RS4 was purely from the point that it took the dealer less than two hours to sus the 'undetectable' chip, this would worry me.

My worry on all this is not the person who has an already capable vehicle i.e within the 85% guide lines and already the power but just want an extra 'kick' -but the person who has a totally inadequate tug who boosts the engine to try and get round this but still has an imbalance weight to weight ratio.

The other aside is that certainly when I fitted chips some years ago they were less than reliable and we always left the original chip in the car in case it was needed, and they were 'needed' on numerous occasions.

The other thing I would emphasise is the undetectable bit. Whether its chips, remapping or whatever, it is inherently detectable. If you notice a difference when driving then so will the technician servicing your car, he drives dozens of regular cars and will notice if one drives differently, particularly with some of the alleged power gains quoted.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Martyn I mentioned the RS4 because you used it as an example of chip or remapping tuning.

The undetectable part I would assume is if you revert back to standard before you get the car serviced. I have a remote box which takes 30 seconds to swap back to standard. But as I do not use a dealer for servicing and the car is out of warrenty I am not too fussed. But if we get our new car next year we will wait until the first service has been done and as I know the buffer for the ECU memory I would just make sure the buffer is clear and the box is removed if we have any warrenty issues or it needs to go to the dealer for a service.

I am more interested in the added torque and the MPG gains than performance as a 150BHP 1.5 tonne plus car at 100BHP per tonne is always going to be slow compared to a 180BHP 200KG bike at 900 BHP per Tonne, so I don't need a performance car I just want one to be good enough for what I want and as economical as possible. The extra 12 Miles per gallon we get is well worth the small out lay as the money saved and more relaxed drive will be paid for in less than a year!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
The module i use on my alhambra is made by a company called dms, it is a re-map module not a chip and works by sending a performance programe to the cars ecu via the diagnostics socket.

when you buy the module the mechanic first plugs a blank in to your car and uploads the original map to the module and then stores this within the modules memory, next he uses a database to upload a performance map on to the same module and stores this within its memory.

To use i just plug the module in to the cars diagnostics socket turn on the ignition and select performance or standard, then press another button and wait for the download complete light to come on, job done in around 1 minuite.

My car is allways presented to the dealer with the standard map and he has never once been able to detect that the car has ever been modified, its a much better modification than chipping as it does not simply confuse the ecu it remaps the engine completely.

what benefits have i got, well standard car 130 bhp and 284 pound torque mpg around 46.

modified i get 172 bhp just shy of 400 pound torque and mpg of around 55, however i must point out that i maintain my car very well, apart from it yearly visit to the dealer i change the oil every 5000 miles and i have fitted a k&n airfilter which gives better mpg and performance (i know these can give problems with mass air flow meters but mine has been fine and the problem has never been proven)on top of this i use millers diesel sport 4 fuel aditive in every tank which increasesd the cetane number of diesel by 4 cleans the injectors and pump and improves fuel efficiency by around 10 %.

Jul 2, 2007
Visit site
I have never had one of my cars mapped, but I have driven a number that have been.

Based on what I have found on those other cars, I fully intend to get the Sorento done as soon as I can afford it.

The car is almost out of warranty now so I am not at all worried about that. I have never and will never buy a brand new car. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. My Sorento was 2 years old when I got it, had 10500 miles on the clock, Just had its 10000 service, fabulous condition and cost me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts