towcar with space for 2 great danes

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
manwithabeard said:
Getting back to the original thread.
So it would be ok to pair a Mondeo estate 2.0ltr 163 diesil with a kerbweight of 1573kg as it has a Max Towable weight of 2000kg and my caravan is1600kg
Not really interested in debates about guidelines or continental rules. Just is it safe or am i going to end up in a ditch.
We towed a twin axle 1600kg Lunar EW with our 2010 Mondeo 2.0l 149bhp auto for awhile and the car managed very well, however on motorways we felt very uncomfortable as it always felt twitchy especially when other vehicles were oveertaking even though we had shock absorbers on the caravan.
As we were having a major problem with the Mondeo we got rid of it, Ford refunded our deposit as they could not cure the fault, and bought a 15yr old 4 x 4 and have never looked back.

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have 10 years HGV (rope and sheet) and have both owned and hired a caravan over the years. This summer, now in the autumn of our lives, we decided to to take the plunge and buy a decent 3 year old Swift from a dealer in Worksop. As soon as we got it home we packed all the gear in, checked the nose weight and set off about 30 miles to a C&CC site at Conkers for a shake down to see if we had all the bits required. The journey both there and back was a bit nerve racking as the car seened under powered and the van seemed to move around a lot.
On arriveing home i checked the tyre pressures which should have been 52psi. One was 35 the other 40. The caravan was supposed to have been serviced before we got it?????
Next time we were hitching up to go away, my neighbour came running out to tell me to push the AL-KO hitch stabliser fully down. When i picked up the van from the dealer i was shown how to hook up and he only pushed the handle down until thier was resistance.
MY god. That journey was so different. It was as if the caravan had lost half it's weight and only when we were passed by a white van doing about 80mph did it twitch slightly.
Now towing is a joy even though we are slightly outside the 85% guide.
I could swing for the dealers though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts