Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all. Just changed towcars to a new mondeo estate, 130 tdci. Has anybody got any comment on its towing ability, good or bad. Our van is a ABI pappilon 490/5 (2001 max weight 1200kg). Thanks in advanced.

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't worry Tony!

We tow an Ace Transtar (MTPLM 1428kg) with our new Mondeo Estate-there is bags of oomph and the car and van is as steady as a rock.

You will find that when towing on the motorway the car does not like 6th gear, fith is fine, 4th just as good (I tend to set the cruise control at about 56mph)

On A roads I get better fuel consumption in 4th-averaging 31 or so when towing.

My only observation is that the set up is not brilliant in heavy ground...now if Ford would come up with a 4X4 version they would have a world beating tow car.

As it is I don't think there is a better family car to tow with.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As David says, The Mondeo is awesome as a towcar. I tow a Ranger 500/5 (MPTLM 1272KG)and unlike above I use 6th most of the time on motorways, only larger hills requiring 5th. It averages 32-33 towing and 48 solo. I average 25000miles per year in total, an can say this is the best towcar I have owned yet, the list has included a previous Mondeo, Octavia TDI, Passat etc. Go for it you won't be disappointed, only take care with the rather numb feeling clutch, it stalls easily.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a 2002 Mondeo LX TDCi estate (130bhp) to tow a 2002 Sterling Eccles Jewel (1465kgs MTPLM) with no problems. The only drawback for me is that I find the seats rather uncomfortable after a long journey.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've just changed our W Reg Mondeo hatch for a new Mondeo Estate, and Andrew is right, the performance is awesome. Ours was still capable of accelerating after a 3/4 mile uphill climb with the caravan on the back!! We have quite a heavy van, and have no problems at all towing. Economy is good, and the ride is comfortable with no pitching! Great.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes I forgot top mention the stalling...I'm getting better at it-stalled the bloomin thing on a roundabout yesterday...in third!

Not much fun having to drag the wheel round with no power steering whilst fumbling with the ignition.

I also forgot to mention the "blip" in the power band at approx 1450 rpm when the engine does a bit of a wobbely. At the first service they downloaded a patch from Bill Gates and it does seem a bit better now.

Still an excellent car though-I'm told quicker than an ST24 between 40 and 60 mph.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts