Towing A Twin Axle

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to towing my own caravan, though I have many happy memories as a child. Well now I have my own family and I have invested in a Bessacarr Cameo 470. I will be towing it with a VW Bora 1.9TDi. I am aware that the caravan is well within the limits of the car but I am debating the investment in a stabiliser.

I have done a search and read the other comments already made but no one has said anything about twin axles. I was always under the impression that a twin axle should be more stable but does that mean I can avoid a stabiliser? I don't have a lot of money after having bought the van and the various other bits otherwise I would just buy one.

All comments greatly appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Twin axles are inherently more stable but whether that means you can avoid having to fit a stabiliser is a bit difficult to give a definitive answer. There will always be situations where its superior stability is stretched to the limit. It's bit like deciding how much insurance coverage you need or are willing to pay for. See how the caravan handles without a stabiliser first and then you can still fit one later.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Trevor.

I tow a twenty foot twin axle (Link 575) with our Laguna estate. It's right what Lutz say's about the inherant stability, which does mean a snake fre drive in all but the strong cross wind situation. Even then I find you get a more gentle directional change than the sudden sway you get with a single axle van.

I still use a stabiliser, mainly to assist with the up and down movement you get towing such a long van.

Your van has two inependant axles fitted which does mean quite a bit of weight transfer when going over speed ramps so I'd go steady over those. my van has the axles linked together simlar to a double axle lorry, which means as the front axle lifts over a bump the back one dips to maintain the levelness of the van. It is a pain when man handleing as you can never get the front axle off the ground before the rear of the van bottoms out.

You can try picking up a second hand stabiliser, most dealers have them for around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am I missing something here? Your towing a Bessacarr twin axle with to a VW Bora? Excuse my ignorance, but that seems an uneven match in favour of the caravan. What are the weights of the van and car Trevor?

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't remember the weight of the car off hand but the van is only 1100kg and the car and van checked out OK on the computer. In fact it is well wihin the max set which i was told is 1400kg. It is only a little twin axle :0)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't remember the weight of the car off hand but the van is only 1100kg and the car and van checked out OK on the computer. In fact it is well wihin the max set which i was told is 1400kg. It is only a little twin axle :0)
Please, don't put yourself down bud ;0)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Am I missing something here? Your towing a Bessacarr twin axle with to a VW Bora? Excuse my ignorance, but that seems an uneven match in favour of the caravan. What are the weights of the van and car Trevor?
My Link 575 weighs 1360kgs gross and the laguna tows 1345kgs max.

You can get light weight twinaxle vans. Mine is 1982 vintage and still going strong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts