Towing Age Restriction

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
A friend of mine has recently bought a new (albeit second-hand) car but claims that he is not allowed to put a towbar on it because he is now over 70 years old. He doesn't pull a caravan, just a trailer occasionally. He was towing up to the time of the car change and was over 70 then. I've never heard of this before so can anyone throw any light on it ?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is not insurance. No idea what the problem is but I do believe that some people have wrongly had the towing resticted to 3,500 kg when their licencewas renewed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The gentleman may have got the idea from the photo licence he will have got when 70 as many of the catagories on his previous licence will have been removed and the B+E entitlement (assuming he qualifies) is symbolised by a car towing just a baggage type trailer.
He should look at the DVLA website where he will find a downloadable leaflet explaining exactly what's what and being specifically clear on the entitlements ('grandfather rights') for those who passed the test before 1994 (or 7 / I did't notice to much as mine was 1955. I downloaded and printed this and carry it in the car when towing, particularly in Europe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts