Towing at circa 94%

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
I am considering changing my 3 year old (just) Ace Jubilee Viceroy MTLM of 1400 to the new Bailey Bretange MTLP of 1490.

Max tow of Vectra 150 (diesel) is 1600 and the GTW is 3600 so no issues there however the bailey will put me at circa 94% of kerb weight instead of the current 89%.

The question is IYO: is this a reasonable match for someone who has been towing for 3 years (about 5000 miles towing) or is getting a bit close?

Also I have 'only' been offered £7,000 against the bailey which seems rather stingey (circa 65% of it orginal value after deducting VAT added at POS).

Thoughts welcome.

JSD

Jun 30, 2005
Visit site
Jason

I used to pull at 97% with my first caravan as a novice and was fine with it. I have subsequently changed the car and now only pull at 78%.

You should be fine, just check your power rating and star rating at whattowcar.com to make sure it rates it ok - orange is warning, green is good, red is bad ...

Check what the book value is for your Ace and go to an Ace dealer and find out what they would give you against a different van of the same make. Friends of mine managed to get another

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you have been towing without a problem at 89% I doubt whether you will notice an appreciable difference at 94%. Obviously there is a limit somewhere and one cannot keep on adding percentages without further consideration, but the change that you are referring to should be within the capablility of someone with 3 years of experience. Some outfits seem to ride more stable at higher weight ratios than others and good load distribution is vital, so there are a number of other factors which also come into the equation, and some of these make more of a difference than the actual weight ratio.

Last week, while towing at close to 100%, I had a blowout on the motorway and didn't feel any instability.

In the end, it's really up to each individual person to assess their own ability. With due care, however, it shouldn't be a problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts