Towing Bilbao to Malaga

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone recommend the fastest ( and easiest ) route for this tow? During October half term we need to drive down to Malaga from the Bilbao ferry,pick up a caravan and tow it back to the ferry. On the map the route of choice looks like Bilbao to Burgos to Madrid to Granada to Malaga but having driven without a van from Granada to Malaga, I am not sure how easy the tow would be. Any help would be much appreciated. Alison

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Alison - the route you have come up with is fine for towing - dual carriageway (near motorway) standard all the way. The coastal road to Motril and then north to Granada from there is also OK, but about 15 miles further. It is a steady climb up to Granada from the coast whichever way you go, but not steep, and fine as long as your towcar is not underpowered.

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
If you are towing from the Malaga area I would suggest taking the dual carriageway towards Antequera, then A359/A92 to Granada. There are a few climbs but nowhere near as long as the climb from Motril. Besides the A7 between Malaga and Motril isn't completed which leaves a distance of twisty coast road to tow along. From Granada to Bilbao the journey is dual carriageway all the way, and toll-free except from Burgos to Bilbao. Going round Madrid, there's the A30, A40, A50. Although the A50 is slightly longer, it's less busy.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks John Douglas Every time I see you post I read it. With out doubt You are a well seasoned traveller. I really like your tips and routes

cheers

Gumbo

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I agree the N331 north towards Antequera and then the A359 and A92 would be the fastest and easiest route for towing. I assumed this was Alison's proposed route, and said it was dual carriageway (near motorway) standard all the way. I was merely pointing out that the coast road to Motril and then north to Granada from there was also OK - I did it last year and found no problems at all - the climb is long and steady but not steep.

Hope my comments have been helpful

Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts