Towing Electric Cable

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just collected our new Coachman Amara, took it out this week-end then pulled into motorway service area and found we hadn't secured the electric cable properly and it had dragged on the ground, ripped through cable and tore apart three of the internal cables, we now don't have any caravan brake, indicators working on left hand side of caravan! Have looked under front of caravan and see the cable disappears along the length of caravan and seems to join up to some sort of "bunch" of cable further back. Can it be rejoined near the front of the caravan or has the whole lot got to be rewired and taken into a caravan centre and put up on ramps etc? Any advice would be much appreciated! We have been caravanning 16 years so very annoyed at ourselves, in our defence, the cable is an awkward length, too short to tie up and allow for turning etc, but just a little too long to secure easily!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
If it was my new van, i would replace the full length, back to its original connection block, on my van thats about 4m.

Leave a couple off of foot coiled up under the A frame, then if you need to renew again you can just pull the spare through.

You should avoid connections in the bottle box due to the gas bottles, and the remote chance of a spark and gas leak occuring.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The easiest way is to fit 12N/S plug onto the remaining cable and then have a short length of new cable with a 12N/S socket on one end and plug for the car on the other

I have used this method of connecting my curly cables for over a decade

You could employ the same method if its 13 pin

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
This does not cost much to have done professionally. I managed to do the same to the gray cable on my old van and it only cost a few quid to have it replaced by my local caravan dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts