Towing gives audible indicator warning?

May 11, 2008
Visit site
We've just changed our towing vehicle to a new Kia Sportage and since then, whenever we tow we get a bleep from the indicators which we didn't use to get with previous towcar - and which is 'bleeping' annoying! Is this usual? Does anyone know how to turn it off? Thanks.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Not only is it normal, it's a legal requirement. The law requires either a visual or an audiable warning. This cannot be turned off only removed completely, leaving your vehicle in breach of the "Road traffic act"

SteveW

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Not only is it normal, it's a legal requirement. The law requires either a visual or an audiable warning. This cannot be turned off only removed completely, leaving your vehicle in breach of the "Road traffic act"

SteveW

May 11, 2008
Visit site
We've naturally got the usual visible warning - the lights, externally and on the dashboard, so clearly not in breach of the RTA - so why do we need to have the 'bleep' as well?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The audiable warning monitors the indicators on the towed vewhicle, ie: cravan or trailer. The dash mounted lights only monitor the indicators of the tow car, If an indicator bulb fails on the towed vehicle the buzzer stops working warning you that a bulb failure has occured.

Steve W

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
My new Vectra has 'intelligent' wiring and therefore doesn't have an audible warning. It knows when a caravan/trailer is attached and monitors accordingly. If a caravan bulb fails then it is indicated on the dash.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
ok..........my new (to me) toyota landcruiser amazon does not have any eletric gizmo that tells me if a caravan indicator bulb has gone but i do have a buzzer fitted and in the back of the car to annoy the kids more than me :)

hgv dave

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I am not au fait with the Kia range, but does your new car have the new single electric socket fitted, if so it is possible that the new system will recognise a bulb failure on your caravan and flash the dashboard repeaters at twice the normal flashing rate, the same as when one of your car indicator bulbs fail.

I recently changed from a '05 car with twin electrics, to a '57 car with the new single electric socket and found that the audible warning is no longer used due to the car recognising the caravan lights and any defects being displayed in the car dash.

I do however, make use of an adaptor to connect the two systems together.

If you still have the twin electrics on your car, then Yes, as previously stated you will need the audible warning or similar warning device to remain within the law.

Having children, and regularly towing during the night I prefer not having the audible system disturbing the kids while they are sleeping.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
My freelander doesn't have the buzzer but instead a trailer light flashes on the display when the caravan indicators are in use. This is in addition to the standard indicator light.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I believe but am not 100% sure, that only the factory fitted towbars have the dash indicator. Tow bar fitters always add the sounder to the traioler indicators

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've simply had to replace the flasher relay for a specific towing version to activate the Dash indicators on some previous cars I've owned.

Two cars had a Caravan image displaying that the caravan/ trailer indicators functioned ok, another car activated both left and right dash indicators at the same time.

This negated the need for the beeper.

If like my older Sedona, your Sportage does not have bulb failure sensing you may find that a towing indicator relay is available from the main dealer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I believe some cars fitted with 13 pin sockets - particularly works fittings - also include in this socket a sensor which detects when a trailer cable is plugged in and this "modifies" the flash rate on the dashboard if a trailer bulb fails. However, some dash indicators are quite hard to see in bright sunlight and an audible warning makes for peace of mind and very little annoyance. it also reminds you to cancel if the streering wheel action is insufficuent to do so.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
It is nothing to do with 12N/12S wiring or 13-pin, it is to do with the vehicle.

Most cars made within the last two or three years use something called Can-Bus (or similar) technology. Basically this means lots of little electronic boxes around the place which get instructions from a computer signalling highway, and then switch the power from a single heavy duty power cable.

As this requires quite a bit of system intelligence it is thence easy to look at the load on the light circuits that feed the the socket and see if it has increased by connection of a trailer. If several circuits are showing increased load - say sidelights, brakelights, and one side flasher, and the other side flasher is not then there is a fair bet that a bulb has failed. This can then easily be brought to the driver's attention.

A simple test to prove this - as in my Astra 5 - is to connect up, set the flasher going, and then unplug the trailer connection. Either the sounder (if there is one) will stop, a light will come on on the dash, or the flashing will significantly increase in speed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts