Towing in high winds

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I agree, the truck or coach would be most likely doing 60 so yes the caravan was at least 5mph or more faster so yes speeding.

Looking at the You tube comments, someone claimed he met the owner and the owner claimed there was a problem with the brakes!!

Sounds more like a problem with his right foot.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I agree, the truck or coach would be most likely doing 60 so yes the caravan was at least 5mph or more faster so yes speeding.
Looking at the You tube comments, someone claimed he met the owner and the owner claimed there was a problem with the brakes!!

I thought that trucks were restricted to 57mph on dual carriageways? Not sure about coaches but that did not look like a coach as too high up.
Many people including ourselves probably speed up slightly while overtaking a slower vehicle until you have passed it safely and then slow down to about 60mph. However without being able to see the speed of the truck it si difficult to estimate whether driver with the caravan was speeding or not.
More than likely the cause was a poorly loaded caravan as the ATC or IDC should have kicked in as the pre-2017 Buccaneers were on a BPW chassis with a IDC stabliser.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s not difficult to count the time the miscreant takes to overtake the HGV.
As I said before, his speed does appear to be 70+. Who knows ? Lucky for him there was Arnco barrier on his n/s at the point of the first snake.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog said:
As I said before, his speed does appear to be 70+. Who knows ? Lucky for him there was Arnco barrier on his n/s at the point of the first snake.

So judge and jury have found the driver guilty although insufficient evidence at the moment?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
Dustydog said:

So judge and jury have found the driver guilty although insufficient evidence at the moment?

The driver of the caravan outfit is definitely guilty of dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention as he lost control as very clearly evidenced by the video footage. He should not have been travelling that fast with that outfit at that time and in those conditions.

With a more scientific analysis of the footage coupled with length and spacing of the white line, the actual speeds of both the observers vehicle and the caravan outfit can be accurately established. (As dusty had already suggested)

The speed limit for HGV's on desresticted dual carriagways is 60Mph, ( Highway Code) but to account for things like tyre wear and most HGV speed regulators are set at about 57mph (Piston heads and other similar sites)

And HGV is capable of over speeding on downhill gradients, and the actual limited speed will depend on tyre tread depth

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said:
Dustydog said:

No problem Buckman.
You have the same info as the rest of us .
I’m open to anyone’s calculations
Please tell me more.
We are a bunch of amateurs, with some very clever blokes,who know there are numerous causations to the problem. No one on here knows the reason but we all,try and learn.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Buckman said:
Dustydog said:

Although it might be difficult to pinpoint the speed of the 4x4 and caravan accurately I would imagine that from the footage most experienced drivers would agree that the dash-cam vehicle was travelling above 50mph.
The caravan in the footage is a large single axle model with a significant rear overhang aft of the towed axle, he decided that an overtaking manoeuvre would be a good idea on a long downhill stretch of carriageway so at the very least the evidence that is shown proves that the driver of the towing 4x4 is guilty of making at least one ill advised decision that he was fortunate to escape so lightly from. We don't know how the caravan was loaded but a relatively rapid downhill overtake of a larger vehicle when towing your caravan is never a good idea in my experience.
I would suggest that driver error rather than high winds created the problem that almost resulted in the loss of the caravan from the footage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts