Towing in old age

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dunno where you got that - both the Volvo XC90 and Jeep Grand Cherokee are listed by EPA as Standard SUV 4wd Search by EPA Size Class (fueleconomy.gov) as we'd both expect.

I need something Sorento-sized but with more rear shoulder room - my Touareg is 75mm more there.

I got my info from a number of US websites which even in American parlance show cars that I would consider SUV to be CUV, including Touareg, but recognise that terminology differs both within the US and especially in other regions of the world. The EPA has a definition but there is widespread variations in the application of that definition. So going back to the EV 6 in European parlance it would be a Crossover, which aligns with Kia U.K. marketing information. The link below describes several cars that we know as SUVs as Crossovers, irrespective of the EPAs definitions.

https://cardirs.com/what-is-a-cuv-car/

I must admit to finding it strange that according to the EPA definition fir 2022 cars a mini and Bentley Continental are both in the same EPA category of “ mini compact” based on internal volume. Bizarre when it comes to actual comparisons and trying to park them. :unsure:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I got my info from a number of US websites which even in American parlance show cars that I would consider SUV to be CUV, including Touareg, but recognise that terminology differs both within the US and especially in other regions of the world. The EPA has a definition but there is widespread variations in the application of that definition. So going back to the EV 6 in European parlance it would be a Crossover, which aligns with Kia U.K. marketing information. The link below describes several cars that we know as SUVs as Crossovers, irrespective of the EPAs definitions.

https://cardirs.com/what-is-a-cuv-car/

I must admit to finding it strange that according to the EPA definition fir 2022 cars a mini and Bentley Continental are both in the same EPA category of “ mini compact” based on internal volume. Bizarre when it comes to actual comparisons and trying to park them. :unsure:
Yes, it's not easy - what were originally body-on-frame 4x4s became SUVs which expanded to include soft-road SUVs - then the Subaru Outback and Audi Allroad started blurring the distinction and modern crossovers were introduced. The difference in international classifications isn't helped by differences in attitude to vehicle capability, a Sorento here is an SUV with good towing ability but in North America it's a crossover that can't tow much.

I've always judged cars on their internal space, at 6'0" I set the driver's seat for me and then climb in the back - it's surprising that some small cars can cope and some big ones can't. I judge boot space on the volume below the load cover with the rear seat in use for passengers.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it's not easy - what were originally body-on-frame 4x4s became SUVs which expanded to include soft-road SUVs - then the Subaru Outback and Audi Allroad started blurring the distinction and modern crossovers were introduced. The difference in international classifications isn't helped by differences in attitude to vehicle capability, a Sorento here is an SUV with good towing ability but in North America it's a crossover that can't tow much.

I've always judged cars on their internal space, at 6'0" I set the driver's seat for me and then climb in the back - it's surprising that some small cars can cope and some big ones can't. I judge boot space on the volume below the load cover with the rear seat in use for passengers.
Your dead right about leg room. I’m 6 ft 4 and my XC70 Gen 3 had poor rear leg room even for an average height passenger, yet a car of similar external dimensions the Superb estate had no problem accommodating me in the back even if the front seats were adjusted fully backwards. Similarly with our Nissan Note, but Nissan cheated a bit by having a rear seat that could be moved backwards or forwards. Cunning?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Which is why I'd like to know what StokyRhyl's reasons are for thinking of giving it up, as there might be something that would enable him to continue for a few more years.

I knew the inventor of the caravan mover John Carver of Carver & Co (Engineers) Ltd, and his reason for developing the first caravan mover was to enable people with less strength or disability to be able to easily manoeuvre a caravan at home or on site.
He opened up super comfort caravanning widening the gap from camping. For me the original Carver heaters and water heaters were the biz.
Does he still look the same in the mirror Prof😉

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
He opened up super comfort caravanning widening the gap from camping. For me the original Carver heaters and water heaters were the biz.
Does he still look the same in the mirror Prof😉
Weren't the Carver heaters just Truma heaters built under licence.

I fitted a mk1 Carver Cascade water heater to our first caravan, completely different design to the mk2 with the burner fitted through the floor.

Fitting a mover has certainly enabled me to keep caravanning - I'd find a camper van more problematic than a caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, they did - a case of Truma eliminating the competition I think.
Isn’t it a normal business practice. Caravan makers and car makers and others have been doing it for years. Often it is a case of merging through acquisition in order to increase market share and profit. I worked for a maker of jet engines who bought out numerous marine equipment companies in Britain and Scandinavian equipment companies and a shipyard in Norway. That way they could supply virtually everything required by the customer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
True Clive if you were answering an economics exam paper. The Carver thing was another British idea and business that for reasons unknown ceased to be British. The way China, Russia and India are going I suspect we will need more Carvers very soon😜😜

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Isn’t it a normal business practice. Caravan makers and car makers and others have been doing it for years. Often it is a case of merging through acquisition in order to increase market share and profit. I worked for a maker of jet engines who bought out numerous marine equipment companies in Britain and Scandinavian equipment companies and a shipyard in Norway. That way they could supply virtually everything required by the customer.
Was that Royce's ?

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I am 76 and we have limited stamina. We have adapted by adjusting our journeys, stopping for a short break after say 1.5hrs whereas we used to do 2.5 or more quite easily. We walk as often as possible, but limited distances and more moderate terrain. We get to bed earlier and don't booze before travelling, and this makes journeys more enjoyable. We tow a 2 berth caravan and use a Thule Omnistore Canopy. Simple and adequate. We don't intend to give up our outdoor lifestyle, but will adapt as we get older.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
True Clive if you were answering an economics exam paper. The Carver thing was another British idea and business that for reasons unknown ceased to be British. The way China, Russia and India are going I suspect we will need more Carvers very soon😜😜
Carver made gas room heaters and water heaters for many years before the motor mover came along. Carver was taken over by (sold to) Truma . Truma also acquired Alde.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Al long long time ago our holiday to the lake district was leave work and find wife and children waiting to go, so by 1800 or so off we use to go. It is about 325 mile journey and we always head to Scotch Corner about 23.00 hrs and park with others in the large lay bye overnight. Arriving in time to book in at Keswick. Now we look at maximum of four hours travelling and stop over night. We find our 70mile journey to Horsley very comfortable so it fits in with my fishing each month.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Like everyone else we missed a year of travelling for obvious reasons. Just back from 2,476 miles in France and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Before we set off this year I wondered how I would cope with long distance towing. Thankfully no problems at all and, with the lovely empty roads across the channel I would go so far as to say it was an enjoyable experience.

There, I think, lies the answer to the title of this thread.

If you become anxious before a trip and stop enjoying the towing then stop.

In addition we all know if there have been moments on the road that caused concern. If these are occurring regularly then think long and hard about continuing to tow,

I suspect we will all know when it's time to stop. The important thing is to stop before it's too late and something untoward has taken place.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like everyone else we missed a year of travelling for obvious reasons. Just back from 2,476 miles in France and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Before we set off this year I wondered how I would cope with long distance towing. Thankfully no problems at all and, with the lovely empty roads across the channel I would go so far as to say it was an enjoyable experience.

There, I think, lies the answer to the title of this thread.

If you become anxious before a trip and stop enjoying the towing then stop.

In addition we all know if there have been moments on the road that caused concern. If these are occurring regularly then think long and hard about continuing to tow,

I suspect we will all know when it's time to stop. The important thing is to stop before it's too late and something untoward has taken place.
I hope you had a fantastic time in France was there some nice sunsets :)

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I hope you had a fantastic time in France was there some nice sunsets :)

Thanks for those kind words Beachball. Yes, we did see some sunsets but we were not on the West Coast so those over the sea were not seen.

We had a great time; so happy to get away after all this time, and both of us tested and Covid free.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for those kind words Beachball. Yes, we did see some sunsets but we were not on the West Coast so those over the sea were not seen.

We had a great time; so happy to get away after all this time, and both of us tested and Covid free.
We got home for lunch today because i had a hospital appointment at the hospital but the weather has been kind on this trip cannot wait for the next one :)

Reactions: Kevin M
Oct 9, 2021
Visit site
We have just returned to a caravan life after 12 years away, we are both in our late 70s , but are looking forward to the challenge, we think it will give us some impetus to keep going , rather that sat by the television. I agree that we are all different and have differing needs, just do what you can achieve, within your budget .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts