towing limits

Apr 14, 2006
Visit site
Can anyone help me i have just brough a 51 plate grand voyager 3.3lt petrol its kerbweight is 2055kg and the towing limit is only 1600kg problem is my caravan a 2002 swift conqueror 610 lux is 1741kg max loaded. am i ok with this. i ahve seen this weekend many voyagers puling twin axles one a abbey spectrum which is heaveir than mine

sarah

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sarah,

The law is quite specific. You must not tow a trailer that has a mass greater than the MTPLM limit stated by the CAR manufacture. The Chrysler Voyager is rated to only 1600Kg and that limit must not be exceeded. To do so is illegal, and your insurance will be void.

Your suggested combination does raise my concern. I am not familiar with the Swift, but if it is rated to 1741Kg - maximum, then you cannot tow it fully loaded. - However, if the caravans Mass in Running Order (i.e. ex-works with no added items) is less than 1600Kg, then you can tow it, but my suspicion is that you will very quickly approach 1600 when you have added gas bottles, battery and all the other items.

Do not be fooled by other caravanner's who tow bigger vans, the chances are that they are actually illegal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sadly John L is right if you look at the VIN plate on your vehicle under the bonnet or near the door shut. it will give you several weights max front axle, max rear axle, max vehicle, and max train weight which is the one you want.This will be pos the fully loaded car plus the max permitted trailer weight.This is a legal requirement enforcable by the police.Just ask any lorry driver what happens if they are caught overweight

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts