Towing mirrors - advice please

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have a pair of towing mirrors which are held on the wing mirrors with rubber straps. They wern't expensive (about £13 from an internet site for the pair). The problem is I can see perfectly well out of the drivers side towing mirror but not the offside. No matter how I position the towing mirror on the offside, the towing mirror is never right and I end up using the car's wing mirror which is not satisfactory. (Tow vehicle is Mondeo).

Any suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa.

G

Think you might be a wee bit disorientated in your post. Normally your driver's side is your offside unless your car is left hand drive.

Personally, if you can see a reasonable degree of field from your normal mirror on the nearside, I wouldn't worry too much. The main use for them is to see vehicles as you pass, and vehicles joining you on a motorway. However, do keep fitting it just to keep the thought police happy. I also have at least one of the 4 mirrors at each side watching the wheels, so I can see a blowout just that little bit quicker, plus as I tow with a Volvo I can see if the side lights are still on, and so know the rest of the lights should be ok.

As a caravanner you will of course, be driving with more care and attention and will more than likely see the idiots before they see you.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I must have got the sides mixed up with riding a horse, you mount on the nearside and the otherside is the offside, if you get my drift.

Many thanks.

Lisa.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Part of the problem with the type of mirror you have is that they tend not to extend quite far enough, so you can see the front corner of your van,but you can't see past it. Also, they tend to vibrate a bit making rearward vision in the dark almost impossible. I know this because I too have these mirrors. But for 13quid what do you want?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Part of the problem with the type of mirror you have is that they tend not to extend quite far enough, so you can see the front corner of your van,but you can't see past it. Also, they tend to vibrate a bit making rearward vision in the dark almost impossible. I know this because I too have these mirrors. But for 13quid what do you want?
Thanks. I'll go with Scotch Lad's response and keep them.

Lisa

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
sounds like the same mirrors I have, two rubbers straps on each mirror and so much vibration I thought they were made by ann summers, anyone know of a good way of stopping the vibration and making the mirrors useable?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Used Velcro to stop ours moving. We sew two pieces of soft velcro back to back along the length making it double sided. The part to attach it to is the hook side and you take two pieces and just sew one end together. The first piece of double sided velcro is placed tightly onto one piece of the hook velcro and the othe pices goes on top. The soft velcro is sandwiched in between the two pieces of hook velcro and is nearly impossible to just pull apart.

You just have to fit so that wind flow does not peel the end open. This type of fixing is more slip proof than many buckle and strap fixings! I use this system to hold various caravan bits and bobs in place when travelling.

G

Lisa,

You may also want to look at the type with an arm such as Summit from Halfords (

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Mine don't vibrate, it's just that I can't position the 'nearside' mirror and get reasonable vision.

Lisa.
Hi Graham

Have you seen my joke in 'chit-chat' about Beer Scooters? It took me ages to type it and no one has commented. I'm really upset.

Lisa

G

John,

I take the point regarding the camera but, they cannot give you any view down the side of the van and I thought the law stated you needed to be able to do that? Or do you have more than 1 camera?

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham

Have you seen my joke in 'chit-chat' about Beer Scooters? It took me ages to type it and no one has commented. I'm really upset.

Lisa
Lisa

Dont worry about responses, I am sure it gave everyone a laugh

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Well, on my Sorento I can easily see down both sides of the caravan using the regular mirrors. It's a problem though and I have yet to find the 'right' solution.

All the best

John

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

I use Milenco towing mirrors on my Mondeo, they have an adjustable arm that out a long way if required. I have towed 7'6" wide vans with them fitted to the Mondeo and can see without any problems. I also agree with a an earlier reply, that at least one mirror on each side should be set to so that tou can see the wheel sof the caravan, it makes manouvering easier, you can see a problem a lot earlier on, and you can see you road position in relation to the caravan wheels.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a mirror which i've had for about 30 years, and haven't seen another like it.Its like a horizontal V,with the mirror head on the apex.The open end of the V clips onto the door in the window slot.From the apex, asecond arm with a rubber foot rests on the door panel, and its held in place by a bungee strap from the apex clipped to the door bottom.No vibration, great view and on or off in a second.Don't know who made it or where I bought it, but I'd like another one!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have tried a number of mirrors overr the years , but have now settled for ther milenco mirrors. The car mirrors on our Frontera give a clear view down both sides but the milenco mirror extend further out and give an extra view, especialy handy for Motorway driving. I usualy adjust the car mirrors to see the frnt corners of the van and adjust the mileco for wider vision. Also find it handy on narrow lanes where I adjust the car mirrors to see the front bottom corners of the van and the milencos for rearward vision. That way I can see how close the van is to any object at anytime.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we have a Ford Galaxy - do we still need towing mirrors as we can see down the side of the van? help appreciated, thanks!

Lolly x
Tend to use both towing mirrors.

Offside,for viewing the vehicles that are joning the Highway on your nearside.Better vision when overtaking for distance before pulling over.

Nearside,much more distance view of the approching vehicles from behind,to enable a more safty overtaking manoeuver.

Use my car mirrors to see the vans wheels( ie missing the traffic islands and kerbs)

Royston

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Tend to use both towing mirrors.

Offside,for viewing the vehicles that are joning the Highway on your nearside.Better vision when overtaking for distance before pulling over.

Nearside,much more distance view of the approching vehicles from behind,to enable a more safty overtaking manoeuver.

Use my car mirrors to see the vans wheels( ie missing the traffic islands and kerbs)

Royston
Thanks Royston

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
we have a Ford Galaxy - do we still need towing mirrors as we can see down the side of the van? help appreciated, thanks!

Lolly x
Although new to caravanning, read a number of reviews regarding performance of towing mirrors. Found a product called suck it and see, kept turning up.

Mirrors attatch to your existing mirrors by suction pad and have been tested to a speed of 120mph. They come complete with safety cord and storage bag.

We have purchased 2 of these mirrors, convex for nearside and flat for drivers side. Cannot speak highly enough of them, main bonus for me is they can be adjusted using your power mirrors especially important for a novice like myself.

Products are available on towsure at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Lolly x
Hi

Towing mirrors are requiered when a car is towing a trailer wider than the vehicle, so your Galaxy is neerly as wide as a caravan, If your van is wider, then mirrors are requiered to be fitted whither youuse them irrelevant, in Europe all vehicles that tow a trailer must have two, UK one on the OFFSIDE is required, but safty dictates Two, after all your mirror is your THIRD eye

Jim M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts