Towing Mirrors

SMS

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I'm off out to buy some new towing mirrors (for a Sorento) this weekend. Last ones are well past their sell by date. Has anyone any advice.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve. I used to have mirrors that were held on with a rubber strap, but on my last car one of the mirrors actually sheered off as I was strapping it on due to the force required. So when we changed the car last year for a Sharan, I also changed the towing mirrors, as they didn't fit too well. I went for the Milenco Aero Towing mirrors that clamp on. Once set for the car they are very easy to fit and remove and I'm very happy with them. They're not the cheapest, around

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi Stephen,

Can`t help you with your mirror choice, all I wouls suggest is that you are VERY,VERY careful in your choice.

I passed at least a dozen rigs on Sunday that didn`t have towing mirrors, all but one were 4x4`s, usually towing wide vans so they had little, and certainly not a legal amount, of rear-ward vision.

I can only assume that they had blown away or been stolen.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Can anybody clarify the legal aspect of having towing mirrors (obviously when towing) ? I was talking to a policeman recently who seemed to think that they weren't a legal requirement but he would invariably stop caravanners without mirrors in case they had stolen the van and weren't regular towers.

Bill

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I don't think there is a legal definition but the CC state "The driver of the towing vehicle must have an adequate view of the rear. If there is no rear view through the caravan windows it is recommended that additional exterior towing mirrors are fitted to provide a view along both sides of the caravan ..... not to be left on when driving solo"

Hope this helps

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bill

I've just copied the following from: http://www.mmleisure.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=sect&pt=522&s=1093&id=mmleisure

The law relating to mirrors when towing a caravan states that they must provide an adequate view to the rear and along both sides of the caravan, making them a legal requirement if you caravan is wider than your car. Door mirrors on cars and 4 x 4 's are type approved to give you a prescribed view of behind the car when not obstructed by a caravan or trailer.

If the caravan obstructs the rear view mirror, additional exterior mirrors should be fitted. However, the additional mirrors should not project more than 200mm (250mm for all new cars sold after 26th of January 2007)beyond the widest part of the towing vehicle or caravan.

Towing mirrors must also be removed when travelling solo.

Since the 12th of December 2005 it is a legal requirement in the United Kingdom and the EU that mirrors comply with community directive 2003/97 or 2005/27 or ECE regulation 46.02.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I guess they mean the width of the car including the existing wing mirrors as I can not think of many vans that would be narrower than the car if the wing mirrors are not included.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use the old style Millenco mirrors which do the job fine on our Sorento. Buying now I would have a look at the new Millenco aero mirrors.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
I bought a pair of the Milenco Aero mirrors.

They're ok. They do the job. I got a pair for thirty quid.

They wobble a bit...but nothing serious.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve. I used to have mirrors that were held on with a rubber strap, but on my last car one of the mirrors actually sheered off as I was strapping it on due to the force required. So when we changed the car last year for a Sharan, I also changed the towing mirrors, as they didn't fit too well. I went for the Milenco Aero Towing mirrors that clamp on. Once set for the car they are very easy to fit and remove and I'm very happy with them. They're not the cheapest, around

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts