Towing mirrors

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
A good blog! Like David, I cannot understand why people are happy to pay thousands of pounds on a caravan and are not prepared to spend a few on a pair of towing mirrors, and in some cases a number plate.

It's generally very simple to work out whether you need mirrors or not. If the inside edge (the one nearest the car) of the car's mirrors are physically narrower than the caravan, then it's highly likely that you won't be able to see along the sides of the caravan to the rear corners (and in legal speak "will not have adequate rear vision"). That's the main reason that LGV mirrors are wider than the vehicles. Simples!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good advice. I believe extension mirrors are mandatory in some European countries whether you technically need them or not. Having had quite a variety of mirrors since 1967 easily the best are the current Milenco Grand Aero which live up to their name by being stable in high wind conditions.

However, no matter how good the mirrors, supplementing the rear view with a camera on the back of the caravan transmitting (ideally wirelessly) to a monitor clipped over the car internal rear view mirror makes an enormous difference particularly when towing abroad. Many cameras are equipped with IR illumination which gives an excellent picture in dusk conditions and the extra safety and sense of security is well worth the price.
Also very handy when reversing, of course.

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I understand it is law that towing mirrors be used in the UK if the caravan is wider than the tow vehicle, my personal experience is that they have limited use. I always fit mine, which are the large square Milenco type, but they give less field of view than the vehicle's own mirrors. For overtaking and seeing if there is a vehicle alongside my Freelander 2's own mirrors are far safer. Where they are useful is identifying the caravan's wheel position on tight turns. My tow mirrors are flat glass and convex mirrors would no doubt give a wider view, but they satisfy the legal requirement.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree. The mirrors fitted to my car also give a much wider field of view than the Milenco Grand Aeros (convex glass), but what I can't see in the car's mirrors are the sides of the caravan, or what's immediately behind me. Therefore it is my belief that the towing mirrors supplement the car's, and don't replace them. You only have to look at modern trucks to see the array of mirrors fitted, therefore the driver doesn't rely on just one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My tow car is a Freelander 2 too chosen partly because of the excellent visibility, but still recommend augmenting the mirrors with a rear view camera.

This is very easy to do with the Freelander, as the wireless receiver can be fitted with velcro in the nearside boot space adjacent to the 12v sochet to power it, and the monitor cable run to the front near side by tucking it into the rubber gaskets round the door openings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts