Towing mirrors

Aug 4, 2005
1,204
14
19,185
Visit site
Anyone recommend towing mirrors that are easily adjusted once fitted to the vehicle’s own mirrors?
Currently I use Grand Aeros and find they give a satisfactory view once set up correctly, problem seems to be every time I fit them I need to adjust them to see properly. Minor adjustments seem the most difficulty. If you try and move the mirror up a little way, for example, it is difficult to move then suddenly moves but more than what you wanted so you need to adjust it down a bit and the same happens again.
There must be a mirror that is easily adjusted when in place but can then be secured.
 
Aug 4, 2005
1,204
14
19,185
Visit site
That does help a bit with the up/ down scenario Craig, I have tried it. The adjusting the mirror in/out is not so helped by that method though. Always concerned I’m either going to damage the car mirror or pull off the already fitted and secured towing mirror.
Usually find I’m in and out the car a good few times trying to adjust it before I get it to suit. Have tried getting the better half to do the mirror tweaking while I stay in the car but she finds it even more difficult than me to get the mirror to move in small enough increments. Thanks
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
I don't think there is a towing mirror out there that can be adjusted easily! I have found that 2 hands are required to adjust the mirror head on it's articulation point, this minimises the pressure on the door mirror housing but as Craig said, loosening the thumb screw to adjust up/down the is best option. Perhaps someone could prototype some battery/solar powered remote-adjusted towing mirrors! Someone start a Kickstarter fund!

The last time I hitched the caravan I tried a new method of mirror adjustment (i was on my own in that instance); whilst the car was on the drive I attached the mirrors (grand aeros), then stood about 2-3 feet from the back of the car, in line with the mirror and looked for the drivers seat headrest - making adjustments as necessary. After i hitched the van, i found that the mirrors were in the almost perfect position. much better than I could ever get when adjusting from inside the car with the wife adjusting the passenger mirror.
 
Mar 24, 2014
370
81
18,735
Visit site
One tip I was given was not to fold the mirrors away into the storage bag after you take them off the car. If you leave them as they were when you last used them, the chances are that, when you refit them, they are going to be pretty close to where you want them to be. And the storage bag? That's just about the right size for a couple of bottles of wine............
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
One tip I was given was not to fold the mirrors away into the storage bag after you take them off the car. If you leave them as they were when you last used them, the chances are that, when you refit them, they are going to be pretty close to where you want them to be. And the storage bag? That's just about the right size for a couple of bottles of wine............

Rubbish ! mine come off the car and go back into the storage bag as they are as they come off the car no need to re-adjust or adjust them so when I take them out of the storage bag they go on the car nion spot on.
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
One tip I was given was not to fold the mirrors away into the storage bag after you take them off the car. If you leave them as they were when you last used them, the chances are that, when you refit them, they are going to be pretty close to where you want them to be. And the storage bag? That's just about the right size for a couple of bottles of wine............

I could do this with the regular Aeros but I have to fold the Grand Aeros to get them in the bag... where they are wrapped in bubble wrap.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,812
6,485
50,935
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I don't think there is a towing mirror out there that can be adjusted easily! I have found that 2 hands are required to adjust the mirror head on it's articulation point, this minimises the pressure on the door mirror housing but as Craig said, loosening the thumb screw to adjust up/down the is best option. Perhaps someone could prototype some battery/solar powered remote-adjusted towing mirrors! Someone start a Kickstarter fund!

The last time I hitched the caravan I tried a new method of mirror adjustment (i was on my own in that instance); whilst the car was on the drive I attached the mirrors (grand aeros), then stood about 2-3 feet from the back of the car, in line with the mirror and looked for the drivers seat headrest - making adjustments as necessary. After i hitched the van, i found that the mirrors were in the almost perfect position. much better than I could ever get when adjusting from inside the car with the wife adjusting the passenger mirror.

Reich made electrically adjustable towing mirrors but they didn’t seem to be available for all that long.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,812
6,485
50,935
Visit site
Why should anything be wrong with them as Reich make good kit, but you put your finger on it. The price even at 50% discount makes my eyes water.
 
Jul 15, 2008
3,667
707
20,935
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Grand Aeros benefit from small amounts of Silicone spray on the plastic ball joints........makes small adjustmens easier.

otherclive said:
........So do the ordinary Aeros.

.........I have no experience of ordinary Aeros as my gift from PC magazine was a pair of Grand Aeros ;) :)

Very useful they are too, as they are perfect for the job and don't vibrate at all on my old Terrano.
 
Nov 29, 2017
99
0
0
Visit site
Why don't car manufacturers give you an option, extending mirrors for those of us that tow, it wouldn't be too hard to do and could be pushed back in after use of you wanted, like on a corsitina, probably not feasible but surely in this day and age possible, also have you seen those lovely big wing mirrors the buses and Lorrie's have fitted now.
I always struggled even way back with lorry mirrors
 
Mar 14, 2005
17,853
3,226
50,935
Visit site
AlexandriaUK said:
Why don't car manufacturers give you an option, extending mirrors for those of us that tow, it wouldn't be too hard to do and could be pushed back in after use of you wanted, like on a corsitina, probably not feasible but surely in this day and age possible, also have you seen those lovely big wing mirrors the buses and Lorrie's have fitted now.
I always struggled even way back with lorry mirrors

I suggest you ask the vehicle manufacturers.
 
Mar 14, 2005
3,027
40
20,685
Visit site
I've had all sorts of mirrors over the years and Grand Aeros are easily the best.
I carry a short crosshead screwdriver in the door pocket such that i can slacken and retighten the ball joint easily without disturbing the arm clamps. I've also marked with very thin white lines the top of the car door mirrors to ensure the lamps go back on in exactly the same position each time.
This has worked to the extent that I now take the mirrors off when on ferries as they are vulnerable to passing passengers with shoulder bags etc. even when folded, and putting them back on is the work of a minute or so. Set them up for the 'wrong side' while waiting to board.
 
Nov 29, 2017
99
0
0
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
AlexandriaUK said:
Why don't car manufacturers give you an option, extending mirrors for those of us that tow, it wouldn't be too hard to do and could be pushed back in after use of you wanted, like on a corsitina, probably not feasible but surely in this day and age possible, also have you seen those lovely big wing mirrors the buses and Lorrie's have fitted now.
I always struggled even way back with lorry mirrors

I suggest you ask the vehicle manufacturers.

Don't suppose they would answer me
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts