Towing Restrictions

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gaferbill

If you would care to look at the post again RE: trailer photo, i think you will see every thing is all ok,

RE; questions & answers can be seen Here

Sproket.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't forget that the towload limit specified by the car manufacturer also carries the force of law and this limit may be lower than both what your driving licence allows and less than the so-called 85% rule.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gaferbill

If you would care to look at the post again RE: trailer photo, i think you will see every thing is all ok,

RE; questions & answers can be seen Here

Sproket.
Oooooooooooooooop's forgot to put It's a auto reverse braked axle,

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Sprocket ... it looks a great trailer to me, and I apologise again for thinking it might be illegally loaded.

The work done on the chassis is fantastic!

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
So if i have this correct...

Lets just say i was going to buy a Sprite Musketeer TD which this (http://www.abbey-caravans.com/cgi-bin/search?cgi_req=102{pipe delimiter}3{pipe delimiter}6{pipe delimiter}) website tells me has a MTPLM of 1230kg that would mean that my car could then have a MAM of upto 2270KG!?!

Here is what i believe to be my VIN plate (appologies for flash hope it doesnt obscure relevant info)

http://www.stephena.co.uk/IMG00030-20100126-1909.jpg
Earlier it was suggest that i divide the two biggest numbers so that tells me my Car has a MAM of just short of 1800kgs!?!(Please tell me if i have this wrong)

So that would make 3030kg max!?!

Im confused am i working this out correctly?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Stephen

From your photo i would say

Gross weight of car = 2025

Train weight of car = 3750

back axle of car = 1120

Front axle of car = 1015

Your gross weight is the max the car can be loaded to = 2025kg, there is always a bit extra listed for the axles, due to how the weight is distributed....

So car = 2025 + theoretical sprite with a MTPLM of 1230kg = 3255kg, you are OK to tow this weight on your licence

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Update according to the V5 document for the car is has a Mx. permissable mass of 2025kg still a caravan with an MTPLM of less that 1475kg is ok then, yes?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I have just checked my V5 and all it gives is the following;

Make

Body type

Taxation class

Cylinder capacity

Type of fuel

Number of seats

Wheelplan

VIN

Engine number

Colour

There is no reference to weights etc at all. I guess that means I can legally tow a 2.5 metre wide caravan according to V5? The vehicle is a Toyota HiLux Surf 3.0L auto (Import)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Stephen.. don't forget there are two restrictions when working out the weight of trailer or caravan you can tow with a B licence

You rightly say that your car can tow a caravan up to 1475kgs to comply with the B licence weight limit of 3500kgs maximum when towing a trailer over 750kgs.

However you also have to qualify that 1475kgs figure, to see if is equal to or below the unladen weight of the car.

If the unladen weight of your car is below this 1475kgs figure then the unladen weight of the car is effectively the maximum weight of trailer or caravan you can tow legally.

If the unladen weight of your car is above this 1475kgs figure, then 1475kgs is the maximum weight of trailer or caravan you can tow legally

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073?cids

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I have just checked my V5 and all it gives is the following;

Make

Body type

Taxation class

Cylinder capacity

Type of fuel

Number of seats

Wheelplan

VIN

Engine number

Colour

There is no reference to weights etc at all. I guess that means I can legally tow a 2.5 metre wide caravan according to V5? The vehicle is a Toyota HiLux Surf 3.0L auto (Import)
Ian

There will be a plate under the bonnet or on the side of the inner wing which will tell you the weighs of each axle, max gross weight, and train weight ( max combined weight allowed to tow ) if you cant work it out ??? take a photo & put it on here & some one will work it out for you

You can only legaly tow a 2.3mtr van with that truck

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Ian

There will be a plate under the bonnet or on the side of the inner wing which will tell you the weighs of each axle, max gross weight, and train weight ( max combined weight allowed to tow ) if you cant work it out ??? take a photo & put it on here & some one will work it out for you

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
As has been said a couple of times .. but not IMHO emphasised enough ... The DVLA 3500Kg limit will rarely apply to MOST folks who do not use a 4X4

The "normal" limit will be the vehicle train weight off the VIN plate. If this is less than 3500 kg then the DVLA limit matters not. If you exceed the Listed train weight you are breaking the law.

If the listed train weight is greater than 3500 kgs and you don't have B+E then 3500 kgs becomes your limit. If you do have B+E then the listed train weight will always be the limit.

The listed train weight is made up of the maximum weight allowable for the vehicle, also on the VIN plate, and the maximum allowed weight of the trailer as given by the trailer plate.

The "law" that stop you.. be it police or VOSA, do NOT have to weigh you on-the-spot, or take you to a weigh bridge. They only have to read the two plates,do some very simple sums, and maybe check your licence.

I have deliberately tried to avoid all the acronyms of MAM, MPTLM, "Kerb Weight" etc... it is the plated weights that matter as that is what the "law" will read.

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/images/VinPla2.gif
Item 3 is the maximum vehicle weight

Item 4 is the maximum train weight

If 4 is less than 3500 then the DVLA limit is superfluous for both B and B+E drivers. Item 4 is the limit.

Subtract 3 from 4

The answer is the maximum allowable trailer weight. It must be greater than the maximum weight figure from the trailer plate.

Finally, the maximum trailer weight from the trailer plate must be less than item 3.

:)

The answer is the maximum trailer weight

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Most of the above is correct, but note that item 4 minus item 3 is NOT the maximum weight of the trailer, but the maximum axle load of the trailer. The difference between total weight and axle load is the noseweight and that is included in item 3.

Furthermore, in some cases, the maximum permissible towload may be more than item 4 minus item 3 so long as the gross train weight is not exceeeded. This would mean that if the car's actual laden weight is less than its GVW, then the difference could be added to the weight of the trailer, so long as the gross train weight is not exceeded AND if the car manufacturer has specified a higher maximum permissible towload than item 4 minus item 3.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Christ your making my head hurt (math was never a strong point)

Again please correct me if i am wrong...

According to my VIN plate (http://www.stephena.co.uk/IMG00030-20100126-1909.jpg) so...

3750kg (4 on my VIN)- 2025kg (3 on my VIN)= 1725kg

So if i were looking to buy a caravan which had a MTPLM of 1230kg i would be legal... correct?

Gaffer Bill said... "If the unladen weight of your car is below this 1475kgs figure then the unladen weight of the car is effectively the maximum weight of trailer or caravan you can tow legally." Which figure on my VIN plate tells me the Unladen weight of my car?

They dont make it easy to buy a caravan do they?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The VIN plate doesn't give any details of the kerbweight. You will only find this information in your V5c certificate. If it's not in there, you'll have to have the car weighed in its unladen condition.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Ian

I have already checked and ther is only the VIn and engine number.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
On the V5 is says "Mass in Service = 1496" which i am told is the equivalent to Kerb Weight so this means i can tow a caravan that is less than this weight?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts