Towing round Paris

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
We are travelling to the Dordogne at the weekend and towing our van. It looks like we need to go round Paris to get down onto the A20. it looks quite complicated on ten map is it easier than it looks. Any tips gratefully received.

lesley

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Lesley

I don't think finding the way is a problem, more the traffic situation and the necessity to swap lanes frequently. It depends whether you are happy to tow in those conditions.
I have avoided Paris for quite a few years now and we usually take the route via Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres and Orleans. Most of it is good roads, it doesn't take much longer than the Paris route, it avoids many of the tolls and is more pleasant and relaxing in my opinion. Having said that we did get held up in heavy traffic approaching Dreux last month, but we may have been unlucky with our timing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We might go to the east of Paris on the A104 in August, we have done it before and it is well signed. We have been via Rouen but find the A104 no worse than the roads through Rouen!

David

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Likewise over the last 3 years going to the Dordogne we have use the A104 signed La Francillienne. Use google maps to plot the route and print the directions so your navigator can give you advance notification of when the junctions are coming up. It's well signed but some advance research pays dividends. We do Dunkirk to Dourdan via autoroutes and stay overnight at Camping Le Petits Pres just 3 miles off the autoroute. It's a cheap overnight stop used by a number of Brits and Dutch. Dourdan is about half way to Sarlat in the Dordogne.

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We went round Paris a few years ago on the way back to Dunkerque From Royan. When we started to head towards Paris I wasn't very keen but the Satnav took us round with no problems at all. The only thing I had to worry about was a stupid driver of a Black bmw with an English registration plate who tried to run me off the road, the French drivers were brilliant. One other minor problem was there was a football cup final on that night which meant the road was very busy.

Les

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
I always struggle to understand the myth that has been built up about the Peripherique all you do is follow the Autoroute join the Peripherique just follow the signs and beforehand make a note of which exit you require,stay in the inside lane (no need to change lanes) and at your exit turn off.It really is no different to any other road,just avoid peak times because it does get busy,otherwise no problem.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd say it is different. The lanes are quite narrow, the road is set into 'cuttings' and the 'slip roads' very short, and often in tunnels so you've no idea that a junction is coming up. The French try to slip in before you, not realising that you've a caravan on the back and can't just swerve or stop on a sixpence. They also try to cut in front of you to get to their exit - again not easy to avoid. We've witness two very nasty accidents on the peripherique in 'the old days' when we used it. You only have to see the number of bumps, grazes, and patched up bumpers on Parisian cars to see how many risks they obviously take.
I'd say for anyone who needs to ask the question, avoid the peripherique ESPECIALLY if you're towing! You can now use the outer Paris motorways which are no problem - as Plotter says just like any other, but the peripherique is a different kettle of fish.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We NEVER go round Paris with the caravan. We tried it once, years ago, when travelling solo and it wasn't any quicker than other routes by the time we had fought our way through the traffic. It was also a bit nerve-wracking as (as Val A says) there is little notice of turns - a map reader's nightmare! No sat navs in those days. Other routes are far more pleasant.
We usually take a route around Paris, to the east, using the Dreux, Evreux, Orleans route and have used the (former) municipal at Chartes as an overnight stop on more than one occasion.
For us, the travelling is part of the holiday and starts the moment we leave home. The last thing we want is stress!

Jo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't agree that the route around Paris (Francilienne) is bad for signing as all the way through the high level gantrys sign the A104/N104 etc and anyone doing the journey will probably have a mapbook, or Google maps print out, so should be aware of where they are and when the next junction is coming up. I have taken a van around the Periphique and when its running its okay, but I stopped using that route as any accident/breakdown leaves you little scope to exit, or if you do you are in inner city Paris. The A104/Francilienne being further out in the suburbs/country gives more scope for an alternative route should you hit problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always think of the A104/N104 as the M25 of Paris and agree that it is well signed. There are obviously different routes to different destinations but I don't think people should be discouraged from using that road.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I don't think anyone has said the Francilienne (E104) is the problem - it's the Peripherique or the inner Paris ring road. This is certainly the road I was referring to. It's not that it's poorly signposted, just that the junctions come up quickly and if you've been pushed out of lane by someone coming into the slip road in front of you, then you don't have any room to manoeuvre to get back into the inside lane to get off at your junction. If you inadvertently miss the junction, then as someone else says, you're in inner-city Paris with a caravan on your back! Either that or go all the way round again until you get back to the junction you wanted!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Totally agree with Val and would avoid the Peripherique at all costs Have been on it twice with the van in tow but never again as well as being continually cut up by cars the bikes are worse. The Franconfile is fine however be careful if you use a sat nav as it can take you via the Peripherique

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most sat navs allow you to input way points within an itenary so you can control your route. My Garmin can be pre programmed on the home PC.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Most sat navs allow you to input way points within an itenary so you can control your route. My Garmin can be pre programmed on the home PC.

You used to be able to do this with TomTom using TomTom Home but the newer models use My TomTom which is far more restrictive than Home. It also means you can't use third party programmes like Tyre. I have just got a Smart60 and its a bit disappointing that it seems less flexible. You can still put in a few way points but its not as easy as planning the whole route.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts