Towing to Cornwall x

Aug 5, 2020
Visit site
Please can you advise me. Each year I tow my caravan to Cornwall with my Chrysler cruiser automatic, towing my heavy old (but much loved) Swift Utopia. We go down the A30 and have an awful struggle getting up 3 of the really high, long hills. Is it less hilly if you go the old road via Plymouth? We are going to Perranporth. Thank you in advance. Siân x

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s only one big hill on the “ old route” that is Haldon just south of Exeter. It’s quite a long haul but three lanes so you can go at your own pace.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is only the one hill on the route now and we have found it not too bad.. It does sound as though your car is towing at or very near its limit.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Which is Hedons Hill?

Just working out which route, as Telegraph Hill between Exeter and Newton Abbot but the fear into me towing but like Heddon it has slow lane

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Which is Hedons Hill?

Just working out which route, as Telegraph Hill between Exeter and Newton Abbot but the fear into me towing but like Heddon it has slow lane
Haldon Hill is on the A38 just after Exeter. Telegraph Hill spilts off of the A38 and goes towards Newton Abbott. The A38 has a large Y junction. Left to TH. Right to HH and Plymouth. There are large overhead gantry signs so you can’t take the wrong route.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Haldon Hill is on the A38 just after Exeter. Telegraph Hill spilts off of the A38 and goes towards Newton Abbott. The A38 has a large Y junction. Left to TH. Right to HH and Plymouth. There are large overhead gantry signs so you can’t take the wrong route.
Hi otherclive i have never been down there if i do you have my recommendation on any route .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Please can you advise me. Each year I tow my caravan to Cornwall with my Chrysler cruiser automatic, towing my heavy old (but much loved) Swift Utopia. We go down the A30 and have an awful struggle getting up 3 of the really high, long hills. Is it less hilly if you go the old road via Plymouth? We are going to Perranporth. Thank you in advance. Siân x

Hi Siân
Which 'Chrysler cruiser automatic' are you towing with?
Some Chrysler models have very low towing limits, so if you're having an 'awful struggle' your 'heavy old' Swift, the caravan might weigh more than your vehicle is legally capable of towing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi otherclive i have never been down there if i do you have my recommendation on any route .
It all depends if you are going to north Devon and Cornwall or South Devon and Cornwall. After Exeter you have a choice of two routes. A38?to Plymouth or A30 which follows the north side of the SW peninsular. Then there are the douth devon resorts Teignmouth Totnes Dartmouth Torbay etc which you go A38 and branch off to the A380.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It all depends if you are going to north Devon and Cornwall or South Devon and Cornwall. After Exeter you have a choice of two routes. A38?to Plymouth or A30 which follows the north side of the SW peninsular. Then there are the douth devon resorts Teignmouth Totnes Dartmouth Torbay etc which you go A38 and branch off to the A380.
So far we haven"t gone futher then Waterrow Touring park Taunton (so north Devon and Cornwall or South Devon ) that would be new territory we haven"t seen would have to stop a couple of nights to get there it a long way from home for me to drive, i have made a note what route to follow . Thanks .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Siân
Which 'Chrysler cruiser automatic' are you towing with?
Some Chrysler models have very low towing limits, so if you're having an 'awful struggle' your 'heavy old' Swift, the caravan might weigh more than your vehicle is legally capable of towing.

The Chrysler Neon, on which the PT Cruiser is based, only had a 400 kg towing limit for the automatic version.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
The road from Plymouth across the Tamar Bridge and thence to the A30 near Bodmin is very windy through the very picturesque Glyn Valley. I wouldn't agree with the others, Haldon is steep. For me there is no choice other than the A30 from Exeter...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The road from Plymouth across the Tamar Bridge and thence to the A30 near Bodmin is very windy through the very picturesque Glyn Valley. I wouldn't agree with the others, Haldon is steep. For me there is no choice other than the A30 from Exeter...
Agree that Haldon Hill is a long trawl but it does have a slow lane which if the OP is worried about struggling up a two lane slope gives a better opportunity to go at the OPs own pace without causing too much of an obstruction to following faster traffic. I’ve travelled the A38 to Plymouth more times than I care to remember and cannot see why any matched outfit should struggle, slow maybe but struggle no. But if the OPs car and caravan are as badly matched as some are now suggesting it shouldn’t be on the road.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Agree that Haldon Hill is a long trawl but it does have a slow lane which if the OP is worried about struggling up a two lane slope gives a better opportunity to go at the OPs own pace without causing too much of an obstruction to following faster traffic. I’ve travelled the A38 to Plymouth more times than I care to remember and cannot see why any matched outfit should struggle, slow maybe but struggle no. But if the OPs car and caravan are as badly matched as some are now suggesting it shouldn’t be on the road.

Towing performance up long hills is totally dependent on the power-to-weight ratio, that's why the Caravan Club have long recommended 40 bhp/tonne is a minimum - even though torque is important for general towing performance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Towing performance up long hills is totally dependent on the power-to-weight ratio, that's why the Caravan Club have long recommended 40 bhp/tonne is a minimum - even though torque is important for general towing performance.

Thats 40 bhp per tonne of car plus caravan otherwise our 84 bhp Rio will be pulling Buccaneers 😁

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Just done a quick towing match on the CMHC with the info to hand. Towing ratio is 146% and noseweight 200kg, well over the car makers limit.
If the OP can supply a little more info I’d be happy to check it further.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just done a quick towing match on the CMHC with the info to hand. Towing ratio is 146% and noseweight 200kg, well over the car makers limit.

There were several different versions of Swift Utopia, the 480 had a 1310 kg MTPLM

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is that the Caravan noseweight applied to the car? Surely that’s too high it’s above Discovery territory!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dont see the problem with Haldon Hill, if I'm out with the van unless I go to Cornwall I go up there all the time with my 1700kg van on me back!
I tend to Stick to around 56mph and may drop to 50mph by the time I get to the top, but as others have said there is a snail lane if you want it.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts