I currently drive a 2003 Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 (Petrol) and tow a 1990 Swift Corniche 14/4. I am wanting to change my car to a 2004 Ford Mondeo 2ltr TDCI as the Omega is costing a fortune in petrol. Can you tell me if the Mondeo is a safe match for my Corniche. Thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Donald, Looking at the kerbweights of the two cars, the Mondeo is signifcantly lighter, and that does not bode well. However the Mondeo seems to have a higher maximum tow weight which suggests that it should cope. I am mindfull of my experience with other ford models (not mondeo) where the rear suspension often felt soft a wallowy, which does not help with towing. I suggest you try to arrange a test drive and tow before deciding.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The new shape Mondeo TDCi's are quite heavy (heavier than my old 2.0 Omega GLS). Kerbweights start at just under 1500kgs (petrol models) and go up to around 1630kgs for the Ghia estate. I use an LX 130bhp estate and the kerbweight is about 1560kgs. They are both powerfull and economical with a max. permitted tow weight of 1800kgs. I would guess your Swift has an MTPLM of around 1200kgs, so any of the Mondeo's would be fine. There is no problem with soft rear suspension on the new models and all have max. nose weights of 75kgs. Some of the estates have self levelling suspension as well. The seats are a bit hard though........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts