towing with a convertible

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
I have a 2006 saab 93 convertible i was wondering if there would be any problems towing my bailey pageant burgundy van i have done all the usual whatowcar checks and the match is plausible but i have had lots of people telling me i should not tow with a convertible any advice greatly appreciated

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If the maker, Saab in this case, has an approved tow bar with associated fixing points and rating then they are approving its use to tow. That some aftermarket company has a towbarI would take as inadequate conformation of the vehicles suitability but if the vehicle maker has approved towing that would satisfy me.

Whether the vehicle has the volume to take our inevitable caravanning clutter is another issue.

I really like your idea as I love convertibles, but I know we could not get all we [royal "we"] feel is essential in it,if you can it would be the best of all worlds.

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
my only query was involving the possibility of increased scuttle shake towing with a convertible i too have seen caravans being towed by bmw and other convertibles but i was told by a friend who fits tow bars it is not recommended

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
A few years ago I towed my parents in law's lunar 2 berth with my MGB roadster from lancashire to Poole & back. We got a few looks I can tell you, but the car managed fine. (Yes I did check the weights first!). Didn't notice any more scuttle shake. We had the roof down all the way too. Only worry was getting sunburned!

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
If the car to van weight ratio is less than 100% and the van's weight is below the car makers max tow limit then I can see no problem.

Scuttle shake where modern cars are concerned is mainly Journalistic mumbo Jumbo originating from the days when cars had a seperate chassis and the lack rigidity from a roofless structure allowed the body to flex a bit - it had little to do with the cars ability to tow then I suspect and even less so on a modern purpose designed convertable which is as rigid as it needs to be.

It aint fashionable to tow with a convertable but that's more to do with practicability than ability or safety so go for it I say.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Another plus point is the fact that most convertable cars weigh a fair bit more than the fixed roof versions that they originated from. This is caused by the additional structure fitted to restore the stiffness lost by chopping t'roof off!

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Hi David,

No problem towing with a convertible as long as the weight ratio's are right!

The only thing you really need to consider is that towing in summer with the roof down WILL play havoc with your towing fuel economy.....no cabriolet is as aerodynamic with the roof down as it is when its up.....more so towing with the roof down you just wont get the airflow right! it'll be like towing with an air brake full on!

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
thanks for all the positive and helpful replies in answer to george i wasn,t planning on towing with the roof down, very happy with all the encouraging replies looks like i,d better get that towbar fitted

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts