Towing with a Jaguar S Type?

jwa

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I've just had a detachable towbar fitted to my 3.0 S Type and will be towing a Bailey Ranger 540. Anybody have any experience of towing with a Jag S type and know of any problems I might encounter? It is an automatic petrol model and the short distance I towed the Bailey home seemed fine, but we plan a longer tow in 4 weeks time. The Bailey also seems reasonably light, but I am wondering if petrol consumption will dramatically increase? Any advice gratefully received.

JWA

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I don't tow or have have towed with a jag but you shouldn't have any trouble at all, to see an S type towing caravans on the road or on site is not an uncommon sight, your engine produces plenty of the all important torque required when towing, as for economy then it's not going to be the best I'm affraid, as a rule of thumb you generally get around the same economy towing as you do pottering around town

jwa

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I don't tow or have have towed with a jag but you shouldn't have any trouble at all, to see an S type towing caravans on the road or on site is not an uncommon sight, your engine produces plenty of the all important torque required when towing, as for economy then it's not going to be the best I'm affraid, as a rule of thumb you generally get around the same economy towing as you do pottering around town
Thanks for the reply, when we had a full roofbox and a family of four through France, I got MPG up around 30, but I am expecting a lot less with the caravan. Feeling quite positive about it all though, we are new to the whole caravan experience, but are really looking forward to getting away.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Oops pressed the wrong buton again!

Anyway, the van was about 1300Kg fully laden and we had 5 of us in the car. Towed around France a couple of times and the fuel consumption was probably about 20ish to the gallon.

The only problem that I encountered was when I left the van connected to the car on the overnight ferry and after the car had been locked for 15 mins or so, the lights all came on the caravan and car! Don't know why, but after that I always unplugged the electrics when I left the outfit for any length of time. Apparently when the car is locked it does a circuit check after 15 mins or so and it did not like the van electrics attached.

If you are going abroad then you can't just stick deflector stickers on the round lights, but you have to buy lens covers that clip over the lights with a small section blacked out.

Apart from that it towed beautifully and was a lovely car to own.

Graeme.

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
Graeme,

S-Type's make great tow cars - we bought an initial caravan being a Lunar Clubman 475-2 CK (best decision we could have made as caravan 'virgins') and having made the decision the only car really available was the S-Type so we had it fitted - great decision, tows like it's not really there; makes complete fools of those 'traffic light jockeys' and races away from lights like a solo mobile, etc

OK, petrol consumption not really great at 12-15 mpg, but what t really great fun !!

Stuart & Julie

May 21, 2008
Visit site
To be quite honest John, one doesn't worry too much about fuel consumption in a Jag.

I've had the 1960's S types and 420's and a XJ40 that had been tuned bt Motorsport engineering Ross on Wye. The Xj did 4Mpg if you booted it to overtake but the satisfaction grin was worth it.

I drove my brother-in-laws 05 plate 2.5 auto the other day and that was as flat as a pancake, lousy fuel consumption at 8Mpg on kickdown, b ut I guess that's what you get with a baby engine.

The 3 Litre has bags of torque and power, with good driving attitude you should get 20Mpg.

jwa

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everybody for your comments, I really love driving my S type and as you say you can't worry too much about petrol consumption! Nice to hear it tows well though, I have only towed the once so far and it felt fine, but I was very light on the pedals. Looking forward to the first caravan experience in 4 weeks, can't wait.

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everybody for your comments, I really love driving my S type and as you say you can't worry too much about petrol consumption! Nice to hear it tows well though, I have only towed the once so far and it felt fine, but I was very light on the pedals. Looking forward to the first caravan experience in 4 weeks, can't wait.
Hi I've just had a tow bar fitted to my 2005 jag s type 2.7 diesel, should there be any indication on my dash board to indicate the caravan is plugged in?, also, my caravan reversing lights are permanantly on when connected to the car. Any advise please.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts