Towing with a Kia Sorento

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All,

This car has a great write up, but I don`t know whether it will pull my twin axle Bessie! Maximum weight of Bessie is 1872kg. The Sorento has enough kerb weight but at 2.5 litres will it have the guts?

Anyone out there tow a Bessie with one of these cars. Any info would be appreciated.

Pete.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tow it easy.

It has a tow weight up to 2800kg but wouldn't do that regularly but your bessie will be fine.

Mine make light work of my Senator Louisiana.

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
If you check with www.towcar.com I think you will find that your vehicle/van ratio is about 96% which is borderline if as you say the MPTLM of you caravan is 1875kg.

I personally think that you may be on your limits weight and power wise

Tom

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Pete, I pull a LMC 520hte it eights in ay 1600kgs allup, the Sorento doesn`t know the vans there, I live in the lakes and a hill or two to go over to get to the m`way. I cant see you having a problem pulling another 272 kgs even at 96%. goog luck mate. TONY A.

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we tow a Hymer nova 570, she weighs in at 1700kg, we dont know its there!

The sorento will tow anything you throw at it!

we are on our second, we wouldnt tow with anything else!!

Best wishes, Andrew.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Pete, I'm not trying to throw a spanner in the works, but I've learnt from experience that when asking people how good their towcar is there's one rule; don't. Every caravanner in the country will doubtless tell you that"you don't know it's there", and you never need to change out of 5th gear and all the other cliches we regularly hear. I met a guy last year who told me all this about his Nissan Navara and later that night said "sometimes you see an uphill and it doesn't look that steep, but before you know it you're in 3rd". That doesn't sound like he "doesn't know it's there". generally I find when you get a load of reports about a car, pick the least spectacular,it's probably the closest to the truth. Regarding the sorrento, I have no doubt it will pull an 1800kg van and more, but be aware this gives a power/weight ratio of about 35hp/ton. slightly less than ideal. This isn't a stab at Kias by the way just a general bit of advice. Cheers

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with Craig on this one and it has to be said that there are limits to what anything will safely tow, as for the comments that it will tow anything you want to throw at it seems a bit of an inaccurate response.

You must do what you feel is right but bottom line is facts:

96% in my opinion is not good

Regards

Tom

May 12, 2005
Visit site
your right Craig,

I suppose my post did imply that I never need to change gear getting from home to the m`way, of course I do.and do get into third on accasions, I doubt a landcruiser amazon would do it with out a gear change or three.

I do sing the cars praises rather loudly, but value for money I would recomend it to any one.

TONY A.

ps I appreciate you wern`t having a go at my darling car

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Cheers Tony. I'm aware that you are the proud owner of a sorrento and while they're not my cup of tea I do appreciate their abilities, and they're by no means a bad car. Every towcar has it's limit but there are some people( you must have met them too) who exaggerate just a bit and maybe talk the unsuspecting into buying a car that's not all they expected.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't see how towing anything at 96% can be referred to as not there, I'm sure if there was a cross wind you pretty well would. I tow with a Disco3 and I'm sure I would know I had best part of 2 ton on the back and my car weighs 2.7t. Horses for courses though try it would be my advice and try a few other cars too.

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi pete and everyone else,

I do sing the praises of the sorento, as i said earlier, we are on our second! i do take on board all the comments.

But, have you ever read a bad review about the sorento?

Thats why it won caravan club tow car of the year!

all the caravan magazine reviews say that the car will tow the biggest twin axle you would care to put on the back!

I think you would struggle to find a tow car to match it for its class or the money!!

Best wishes, Andrew.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Peter

yes the sorrento will tow your van and yes Craig is right.

However, where do you draw the line? do you get an amazon to ensure weight?

What I would do is ask a dealer if they have one with a tow bar and ask to try it out. If you are experienced and are happy with the ratio then the only one who needs to worry is you. The sorrento is rated much higher than your van so will pull away uphill nicely and will maintain speed. you may have to change down on long inclines but so do most of us.

Never beleive anyone who says they don't know the van is on the back unless they have a range rover 4.6 and a 10 foot caravan.

Speak to the dealer, they may be able to help

Steve

PS, my m8 has one and tows a twin axle. I am very impressed but don't tell anyone

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I pulled a 7.5ton flat bed truck out of a muddy field this morning.

Low range 2nd gear and just a slow gentle pull no problem, the truck driver was well impressed.

Steve W

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
If you check with www.towcar.com I think you will find that your vehicle/van ratio is about 96% which is borderline if as you say the MPTLM of you caravan is 1875kg.

I personally think that you may be on your limits weight and power wise

Tom
Hi,

I think Tom has got the wrong figures. If you look at Kia uk's home page the Sorento diesel comes in around 2056-2150kg, so although you are not quite 85% you would be 91% maximum. The Kia has a large load carrying capacity so some of the Bessie load could go in the car. With self=levelling suspension it can cope.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I think Tom has got the wrong figures. If you look at Kia uk's home page the Sorento diesel comes in around 2056-2150kg, so although you are not quite 85% you would be 91% maximum. The Kia has a large load carrying capacity so some of the Bessie load could go in the car. With self=levelling suspension it can cope.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think you'll find that as likely as not, the actual weight of your car will be heavier than anything quoted on Kia UK's home page. Such figures should always be treated as very conservative and only as a guideline. By the way, this applies to the kerbweight specs of any other manufacturer as well. I have yet to come across a car that actually weighs what the manufacturer quotes in brochures or literature, unless a bandwidth from/to is given.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tow it easy.

It has a tow weight up to 2800kg but wouldn't do that regularly but your bessie will be fine.

Mine make light work of my Senator Louisiana.
Kerb Weight 2148 kg x 85% = 1825 kg

Bessie is 1872kg. so you are over the 85% but an ~~ 87% it should be ok

Technical maximum Towing Limit = 2800 kg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts