towing with a pick up

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Reading the PC 'tow car' special and on page 114 there are mini reviews of the Nissan Navara and the L200 pick ups....I couldn't help but bet surprised by the little 'rider' that claimed that towing with a commercial vehicle (pick up) could affect the terms of a caravan warranty.....what the hell is that all about???? I know they will try and wiggle out of any warranty claim but how does towing with a pick up differ from a 'mainstream' vehicle....if anything they should be better as they are designed with towing in mind...... :unsure:

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I believe it is to do with the stiffness of the rear suspension on pickups. This transfers harsher vibrations to the caravan chassis for which it's not designed and can therefore cause early failures.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
quote="WoodlandsCamper" post=418309]I believe it is to do with the stiffness of the rear suspension on pickups. This transfers harsher vibrations to the caravan chassis for which it's not designed and can therefore cause early failures.[/quote]

Bailey's handbook under the warranty section says:-
Only be towed by a private car or private 4x4 vehicle.
So if the Nevada or L200 are private registered / classed does that make them okay? Ask Bailey I think.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I tow with a Isuzu Denver Rodeo pick up BUT i have one of these fitted due to the truck having rear [strike]cart[/strike] leaf springs fitted, they are not cheap but they do make it a more comfortable tow especially on bad / uneven roads ...

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Dustydog said:
quote="WoodlandsCamper" post=418309]I believe it is to do with the stiffness of the rear suspension on pickups. This transfers harsher vibrations to the caravan chassis for which it's not designed and can therefore cause early failures.

Bailey's handbook under the warranty section says:-
Only be towed by a private car or private 4x4 vehicle.
So if the Nevada or L200 are private registered / classed does that make them okay? Ask Bailey I think.[/quote]

I tow with a Mitsy L200 private registered but classed as a Light goods vehicle so my no claims bonus on a car didn't count towards the Mitsy insurance. So I guess its down to the caravan manufacturer if its a warranty claim.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I was advised many years ago to purchase a Shock Link like Sproket due to having leaf spring on a Land Rover, still use it now with a Discovery. Never had any problems with the caravan disintigrating, and this is going back to the mid 80's.

Trevor

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the harder springing of pick ups. He engineer who services our caravan says that in przctice it is normally the twin axle caravans that have the problems and he is aware that travellers in psrticular with their Transits and long twin axle Hobbys do sometimes end up with the chassis fracturing. It can happen so this is why the guarantee excludes it but you will normally find the handbook advises against it as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts