Towing with a sign written van?

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,
We've heard that some sites won't allow commercial vans in. What is defined as a commercial van and where can we find this out, would we have to phone each one? How much of a problem is this as we were hoping to just go and explore. Is this more of a problem in the uk? Or Europe too?
As at the moment my car doesn't have a tow bar and was quoted 400 pounds so will be a while! And my husbands van is sign written with company name (although nothing to do with caravans or associated products or services).

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The majority of sites will not allow sign written vans on site, but the only way to be sure is phone and ask each site.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi, host25.
while it is true most site do not like sign written vehicles, some don't mind, while others will allow them on with a caravan provided they are parked in the visitors area.
you can understand why when you apply logic to it, as commercial vehicles are used by workmen and those of the travelling community, neither of which would be acceptable on family orientated sites, however i have often seen plain vans and pickups [5th wheelers] on many sites I have used,
Damians answer seems the best way to go and ask first, you could explain that you are new to caravanning and only have the hubbies van to tow it with until you get a tow car or that your regular tow car has broken down :woohoo: and you will be bringing it with a works van, sympathy often works in such situations.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
We tow with a plain white van. Even then I always mention this when booking, as the last thing we want is to be turned away or have to park in the visitors car park. So far in 5 years we have never been refused.

Jim

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The CC do allow sign written caravans on site provided they are in good condition and most wardens will allow you to park on the pitch. I think the C&CC do, but you might need to check with them. Other sites all have their own rules so before booking you would need to check the terms and conditions or ring them.
A lot of sites put it in the rules that vans are not allowed to keep travelers out but might bend them where it is clear you are not one of them. What they are trying to ban is rusty old transits.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Our friends occasionally use a merc van to tow their caravan, it isnt sign written and isnt used for commercial purposes, but simply to transport their dogs (cant think of a worse passtime :) ) to shows etc. Even with that, they have had issues on some sites we have visited, and one site totally refused to allow them on the visitors car park too. in the end, I had to site my van, and then meet them and site theirs whilst they parked in a public carpark, on other sites there has been no problem. Mainly the caravan club, and more upmarket sites are tighter on rules. Cant comment on Camping and Caravan Club as we have never used them.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We were on a CC site this weekend and there was a sign written van on it. It was fairly new and in excellent condition though. I think dubious looking ones might be turned away and plain ones are more likely to have trouble as they are the ones travelers use.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There was a sign written van on the CC site we were on this weekend. It was in good condition and fairly new, I think it is the scruffy ones they are wary of.

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi thanks for all your great advice again my husbands van is a fairly new van in great condition so hopefully if we phone ahead we shouldn't have too much trouble then. I can totally see the logic behind it with what's been mentioned as I wouldn't want to be on a site with a rust trap next to me either :)
Thanks again I look forward to exploring next week :)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
This is the caravan club all over. They will turn away a £20000 van, brand new and sign written towing aa 20000 caravan, and allow on a rustheap of a car towing a £250 caravan that hasnt had a gas service in 15 years and is potentially a deathtrap.

Perhaps its time they started insisting caravans be serviced, at least for habitation services. Always worries me if I end up pitched next to something like that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts