Towing with a van - might need to replace a Volvo S60 with...

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
...a van or MPV.

Back again with one of my very infrequent posts!

I currently tow our '04 Abbey Archway Royale 520 (MIRO 1250kg, MTPLM 1500kg) with an '03 Volvo S60 D5 SE auto (163bhp, kerbweight and max tow both 1500kg). Now, for a number of reasons, one of which is the need for a vehicle I climb UP into rather than bend DOWN to enter, a change may be on the cards.

With the rising costs of RFL, etc, I'm also looking for something economical (not just on fuel), and that can lug a load around inside.

Most of the MPV's that are man enough for the job are going to be out of my price range (say, up to around an 8k cash value maximium), and big 4x4's have always seemed a little pointless to me for day to day use, though I've no real objection to going for something a little older.

So vans have come up in conversation more than a few times. The one I'm particularly taken by is the late 90's Volkswagen T4 Transporter. Even the 1.9TDi is rated to tow 2000kg, but is that really going to cope with my heavy outfit?

Any other suggestion?

Dale

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Forgot to add one thing:

The other van I'm considering (though this would be a newer/more expensive option) would be a Renault Trafic/Vauxhall Vivaro 1.9DCi 100bhp - substantially more powerful than a 68bhp 1.9TDi Transporter (though 2.5TDi's are available there with 88 & 102bhp).

Dale

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I am just in the process of changing my car, and a number of the vehicles I was considering fell into the "commercial vehicle" class.

Further enquiries revealed a number of points to be considered;

The Severn Bridge (and probably others) charge extra for a commercial.

You may have to deal with a different set of insurance companies - and pay more.

Will your breakdown service charge extra?

Will some caravan sites refuse to let you on?

If you might want to go inside the M25, check if you will have to pay the LEZ charge.

I'm not saying a van is a bad idea - but there are certainly aspects to consider.

Have a look at the prices of secondhand 4X4 - you might be surprised what you can get for

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Driving within the M25 wouldn't really be an issue as I can just use my wifes car if the need arises, but I hadn't considered access being refused to caravan sites - is that common for privately owned and non-signwritten commercial vehicles?

Must admit though, about the only MPV I hadn't thought of and then ruled out (mainly on the grounds of either being French or costing a fortune to run!) is the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra family. I don't really want to spend too much (under

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We were towing a 1400kg twin axle van with a Sharan 1.9tdi 110hp, they have a manufacturers max tow of 2000kg but 85% comes out at about 1500kg, they have the stability to cope with heavier caravans but they are only front wheel drive traction . The 110 hp was adequate but not exactly lively, the later 115pd may only have 5 more bhp but the mid range torque was 30% more than the 110hp.

TRENDING THREADS