towing with a van

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
We will be spending a lot of time in europe finishing our holiday home and also doing a lot of touring in europe.

It would suit us better to buy a transit type van. Has anybody found campsites in europe and the uk that have a no van policy?

I have read somewhere that some sites are anti van

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Geoff...In France many sites are suspect about vans and twin axle caravans due to the connections they make with with vehicles travellers. I found this less so in Spain.

However, I have never been turned away from a site because I was towing a twin axle caravan (I don't tow with a van though). However, I think it is alway prudent to ask them and to let them know your outfit when you book to be on the safe side, if they are expecting you it should'nt be a problem. Mal

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You'll also find the police are anti-van, if you're towing, and much more likely to stop you. Municipal sites in France are VERY reluctant to allow vans on site, as are a lot of privately owned sites because most of the 'travellers' in France have transit vans, usually white!!! Maybe better to buy a very large estate, then you should have no problems!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Beemer and Valerie are correct and remember that ferry companies may also want to charge you for using a business commercial vehicle. Younger family friend who are into surfing and mountain biking with their kids had trouble with their first Transit. I've had Merc V Class's that never had any problems but thatt is a car and I've seen Vito Vans with crew cab windows and alloy wheels have no problem used as a family vehicle and have seen quite a few Dutch families using them as family tow tugs. Also with a rear door window and the trick of back side panels painted dark grey to match the "privacy" glass on the rear passenger doors I know another guy who used that to get the "car look".

Our friends changed their old white transit for a silver metalic grey/blue mini bus style Trani as they carry a jet ski in it, with privacy glass and a set of nice alloy wheels and with fridge vents it gets taken as a motorhome and they've had no more problems with caravan in tow.

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
Thanks All

I intend to leave the van in france so ferries not a problem we only have a 2 berth caravan

So hopefully we would be mistaken for travellers but I know what you mean.

What ever I do it will be wrong

But thanks for the imput

TRENDING THREADS