Towing with Kia Sportage

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi

We have a Kia Sportage and use it to tow a Bailey Ranger 500/5. We are hoping to go to Normandy in June but are worried about diesel costs. Does anyone have a similar outfit? If so what mpg do you normally get when towing on a motorway?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Margaret

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Margaret,

Whatever car you drive, fuel consumption in France will roughly be the same as in the UK - except for:

1. The French motorways / autoroutes are generally much less busy than any equivalent UK motorway, so it's much easier to maintain a constant speed - and that should improve fuel consumption

2. The speed limit for towing in France is the same as the posted speed limit for the road - so in good weather conditions - you could in theory tow at 130 kph (81 mph).

But at those speeds, the car will drink fuel, and I wouldn't expect the towing experience to be that nice - so if you stick to UK speeds - fuel consumption won't be that different.

3. Other costs - if you drive from Calais to Normandy, then it's possible to travel by autoroute and then pay the toll fees where applicable, or use the free N roads and sections of toll free autoroutes - which is also a bit slower.

As a rule of thumb, the sections of toll autoroute will add a cost of around 1/3 or more to the fuel cost of the journey

Use a web-site like viamichelin to plan and calculate the actual costs - this has an option to enter your type of car, your caravan, and typical fuel costs...

Robert

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Diesel is cheaper in France and we find that fuel consumption is better in France as we maintain steadier progress as there is less traffic.

Travelling same long distance in France compared to UK I would always expect it to be quite a bit cheaper as it is for us.

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for this - i'll definately look at the michelin site. We've been to france before but this will be the first time towing. Though with the rising diesel costs I wonder whether it'll be too expensive.

Anyway, thanks again.

Margaret

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Margaret,

I use Nationwide Debit & credit cards.

They are the only cards that dont charge commision on transactions.

When in France last year, the exchange rate was 1.42Euros /

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts