Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
has anyone felt a slight snaking due to the ruts you see on the motorways and main a roads surely this would make some drivers think they or their van set up was to blame

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian. You're not the only one to notice this. I remember reading several threads a while back about this problem. Many people thought that there was a problem with the cars and had had them checked out by dealers.

I haven't experienced the problem towing, but do find it affects our corsa when I drive up the A1 sometimes. Some areas are quite bad and I have to slow down as it feels as though the car is out of control.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
yes , had it solo as well on the M62 in west yorks in the wifes car.seemed to get chucked from one rut to the other and difficult to maintain a straight line

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Yep, get it all the time on the motorways and occasionally on trunk roads. It's a right royal pain in the neck, as the caravan axle width is just a bit narrower than that of the lorries that make the rut's. So my van dances side to side which in turn pulls the car around. To get out of it I have to drive closer to either side of the lane to get stability back.

I agree with Kangaroo, it is about time Blair spent some of his

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With regards to gas guzzling cars and the increase in fuel duty. this will obviously have a large affect on our hobby as cars use more fuel when towing.

Perhaps the best bet would be to have a car which has a big engine which is affected less by adding the caravan.

One thing is for sure, and that is that most of the income received will be required to run the scheme - anyone remember the income from parking meters would be used to provide cheap off street parking?

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Brian

I experienced slight snaking (well I think it was that, never having experienced it before) whilst driving on the A34 Newbury road at the weekend.

I've only been towing for 3 years and have never had a problem, but as I was driving along the unit felt really uneasy. I thought there was something wrong with the car/van so stopped when I could to check it over. Couldn't see anything. Stabiliser was fitted at was OK. I must admit it made me very shakey and nervous for an hour or so.

On reflection the only thing I can think was that it was the ruts on that particular road. Unit was fine the rest of the way home

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Brian

I experienced slight snaking (well I think it was that, never having experienced it before) whilst driving on the A34 Newbury road at the weekend.

I've only been towing for 3 years and have never had a problem, but as I was driving along the unit felt really uneasy. I thought there was something wrong with the car/van so stopped when I could to check it over. Couldn't see anything. Stabiliser was fitted at was OK. I must admit it made me very shakey and nervous for an hour or so.

On reflection the only thing I can think was that it was the ruts on that particular road. Unit was fine the rest of the way home
It sounds like you experienced the rutted road syndrome. It is very un-nerving, and you think the tyres are half flat on the van.

The only thing you can do is drive slightly off center of your lane, but only if there's enough room to do this safely without putting either yourself or other road users at risk.

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Brian

Yes that's right. That was my first thought, that there was a problem with the van tyres.

Didn't help that 10 mins before I'd passed a smashed car and unhitched caravan on the hardshoulder! As far as I could see both wheels on the caravan were torn to bits.

TRENDING THREADS