toyota avensis

Aug 23, 2005
Visit site
hi m8s does anybody tow with a toyota avensis 2.2 d-4d 150bhp

i know the tow weight is low but my van is a bailey ranger series 5 weight is 1184kg so weight is ok. george

Jun 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi George,

I have the 110bhp previous generation Avensis d4-d. I am just back from a trip to the Isle of Wight pulling our Avondale Dart 556-6 (mtplm 1300kg). I travelled from Stranraer in Scotland down the M6 to Birmingham and then M40/A34 to Southampton. The car pulled the van brilliantly. No problems with power at all. 60mph+ was easily achievable on the motorway and pulling out to overtake etc was fine. The kerb weight of my car is approx 1540kg (I have weighed it) and I found stability to be fine. However, I have fitted grayston rear spring assisters.

I reckon the 150bhp d-4d would be brillant in terms of power and acceleration. When it is time to change the car I will be looking for one.

Regards,

Andrew.

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
I used to have a 1.8l petrol new shape avensis and it towed really well our biggest problem was even at a crawl the jockey wheel would ground on speed humps. We looked at the 2.2 D4D as we loved the previous car, but in the end we bought a 4x4 with the extra noseweight. I couldn't endorse the Toyota enough if you can line with the 75Kg noseweight.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Isn`t the 2.2 diesel the same as in the Lexus IS220?

It`s just that when these came out the standard car was hammered for being pathetically unresponsive (solo) because of ludicrously high gearing, which is just what you don`t need in a towcar. The `Sport` version had lower gearing and was rated totally differently,I believe the `sport` ratios are now available on all models.

Just wonderering what they`ve fitted to the Avensis.

Aug 23, 2005
Visit site
thanks m8s for the comments. i noticed in this months practical caravan mag the test on the van that i have a bailey ranger 460/4 one of the recommended cars was an avensis but with the 2.0 ltr engine so maybe that is the best engine. george

Jun 17, 2007
Visit site
thanks m8s for the comments. i noticed in this months practical caravan mag the test on the van that i have a bailey ranger 460/4 one of the recommended cars was an avensis but with the 2.0 ltr engine so maybe that is the best engine. george
i also have a ranger 460/4 i tow with a new shape an avensis 1.8 129 bhp when i bought the car i had no intensions of buying a caravan so when i purchased the ranger my first thoughts were i will have to change the car but so far both have been ok i understand when they designed the ranger caravan it was done with medium family cars in mind astra and focus i have been up some steep pulls with the van and you are up and down the box a bit more than normal,most driving conditions motorways its ok when its time to change the car i will look for a desil engine for economy and torque i can still get 30 mpg towing at present

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts