May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,we had a car stolen from work in Luton today at around 10.30(on cctv film). The theft wasn't noticed until 1.30 but luckily all our company cars are fitted with a tracker. Within a few hours of reporting the theft the car was found parked up, undamaged in Doncaster.I had a tracker fitted to my caravan after my old one was stolen and after seeing today how effective these devises are I would urge anyone who is thinking of having one fitted to do it as soon as they can.....Brian.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Just to point out that the tracker would normally have notified us of the theft as it happened but the car was new and the tracker hadn't been activated.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Problem with these is that they are soo exspensive.

So rather than just moan about it, I am doing somthing posertive.

WATCH this space for an announcement later in the year

:)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Tracker systems are inevitably expensive because of the technology they use, including direct interfaces to police control centres and some traffic police cars.

There is a cheaper alternative, using mobile phone technology, but lacks the accuracy of GPS-based systems. This has been featured in some caravan publications (I can't remember which!).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to point out that the tracker would normally have notified us of the theft as it happened but the car was new and the tracker hadn't been activated.
Hello Brian

How would Tracker know that the cwas being driven by a thief and not an authorised person? I ask this question because I have a Tracker fitted and was under the impression that I must inform them of a theft and then it would be tracked.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tracker systems are inevitably expensive because of the technology they use, including direct interfaces to police control centres and some traffic police cars.

There is a cheaper alternative, using mobile phone technology, but lacks the accuracy of GPS-based systems. This has been featured in some caravan publications (I can't remember which!).
It was featured in the Caravan Club Mag in June 05

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Alan. I have a Phantom Tracker which like you have to notify them of a theft.There are more advanced systems that sense for

non authorised movements of vehicles and then contact you to see if it has been stolen. As I tend to drive higher spec PX's I never have one fitted to my car so am a bit unsure how they work but visit Trackers website and look for Tracker Monitor for more info...Brian ps, I think Phantom also have a monitor system.

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Phantom has two tracker options, Phantom Target and Phantom ProActive. With the Target option, you have to know that your vehicle has been stolen (not very effective if your van is in storage - could be weeks before you know it has gone), you contact Phantom and they will trace it for you. With the ProActive option, the device is operated in conjunction with the alarm and upon sensing any movement, even just a couple of feet, as long as you have set your alarm, a signal is sent to Phantom and they contact you to inform you of activation.

We have the ProActive version fitted in our new caravan after our first one was stolen and are very impressed with it. Just after collecting our new van, I had collected it from storage ready for a weekend away and had the van parked at work. Some colleagues wanted to look inside and I forgot to disarm the alarm and entered the caravan. Within 5 minutes, someone from the office came outside to tell me that he had just received a phone call from Phantom telling me that the tracker had been activated and was I with the van. They had contacted me on the last of three contact numbers given to them so they had acted very swiftly. It was also activated when at the dealers for some warranty work, and again we were informed within minutes.

I would not hesitate in recommending this tracker, in particular the ProActive version (which is only

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Let me guess - your selling your caravan heheheh!
No, I'm selling Yours!!

I am sorting out the adaptation of a car tracking system for use in a caravan. Basically it will phone you if the van is stolen then report its position via either cell phone location or GPS. What that means is that it will work even if the caravan is taken inside a building.

We are just waiting to see if the mA rating can be reduced enough for internal battaries, as currently it runs off an external 12v battery

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts