Tracking Systems, should I go for the Sargent ?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Our caravan will shortly be heading back to the dealership for a few snag fixes, and the rails all sorted.

I've been thinking about a Tracker installation, and possibly asking the Dealership if they have any deals and get one fitted (while it's in)

The caravan already has the AS350 Sargent Alarm

Has anyone got any issues with the ones that Dealers supply as an add on to their caravans, or can you recommend another?

Was looking at a few, including the phantom but they vary so much in price and subscription payments.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When checking on Trackers, the first thing you need to do is check whether the Tracker id Proactive or Reactive. If Proactive, the moment someone interferes with the caravan, you are notified by the Tracking company i.e. Phantom.

If Reactive, you need to notify the Tracking company of the unit is missing and if in storage this could be weeks before it is realised it is missing. Even if the caravan was stored at home, it could be hours before it is realised the caravan is missing.

We have a useless reactive Tracker fitted in out caravan as standard, but we have never activated it preferring for peace of mind to pay the extra and have a proactive Phantom Tracker fitted. After all when you spend £30k on a caravan £500-£600 is small change in comparison.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have had Phantom trackers that came factory fitted on two previous vans. Ended up pay the subscriptions. Never had to use them to track down the van so their abilities were never tested, which is a good thing. However, I do wonder, if the van was nicked; do I really want it back. We have well rated insurance cover.
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have had Phantom trackers that came factory fitted on two previous vans. Ended up pay the subscriptions. Never had to use them to track down the van so their abilities were never tested, which is a good thing. However, I do wonder, if the van was nicked; do I really want it back. We have well rated insurance cover.
Mel
If they recover the caravan before they pay out, then you probably have no choice except to take it back. However as the tracker activates as soon as they interfere with the caravan, the can track the caravan and hopefully recover it quickly. You can also remotely see the mileage done each month, status of battery and also location of caravan on their website.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Air tags are discussed on another topic. They will never be as good, but massively cheaper. Some were concerned regarding personal security. A caravan tracker would pose the same risk! If indeed they are a risk.

The Phantom I had on my Bailey and Lunar interconnected with the alarm. I did have a few false alarms and did get a prompt and polite telephone call. However, on reflection. I think they are too expensive. I ended up relying on my insurance.

For around £60 you can buy a tracker from China. They need a cheap SIM card subscription to activate. But I don’t know how reliable they might be.

Another option is using a commercial unit as fitted to Lorries and vans. These are marketed to fleets but can be bought by individuals. Last time I looked they provided a fantastic service. Tracking can be so detailed that you can even see what side of the road the vehicle is on. I thought about these because the journey history would have been great to review years later.

John

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Air tags are discussed on another topic. They will never be as good, but massively cheaper. Some were concerned regarding personal security. A caravan tracker would pose the same risk! If indeed they are a risk.

The Phantom I had on my Bailey and Lunar interconnected with the alarm. I did have a few false alarms and did get a prompt and polite telephone call. However, on reflection. I think they are too expensive. I ended up relying on my insurance.

For around £60 you can buy a tracker from China. They need a cheap SIM card subscription to activate. But I don’t know how reliable they might be.

Another option is using a commercial unit as fitted to Lorries and vans. These are marketed to fleets but can be bought by individuals. Last time I looked they provided a fantastic service. Tracking can be so detailed that you can even see what side of the road the vehicle is on. I thought about these because the journey history would have been great to review years later.

John
Don't think you can use the Airtags, as they start bleeping after 24r hours do they not, if not seen by your iPhone, which is to stop people tracking other people.

Although I have heard some people pull out the speaker.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Don't think you can use the Airtags, as they start bleeping after 24r hours do they not, if not seen by your iPhone, which is to stop people tracking other people.

Great point. You are correct with true Apple AirTags. My Atuvos ones don’t do that. And work very well. But never as sophisticated as a dedicated tracker. But a cost effective alternative.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

If using an air tag, will it notify you the moment someone interferes with the caravan? It is probably as much good as a reactive tracker. as said if you have just spent £30k plus on a caravan why would you want to skimp by having inferior trackers?

If you phone the police and tell them that your caravan is being towed down "New Road in Newtown" will they respond. I doubt it as you are Joe Soap and they have no idea whether it is a prank call or not and I don't blame them for not responding.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Some years ago our dealer had a recovered stolen caravan in for repairs. No matter how hard they tried the repair cost wasn’t enough to declare it a write off. The inside was heavily soiled and trashed. Unbelievable what the thieves did. Even repaired the owners didn’t want it back so did a px.
Unless your Insurers say you must have a tracker device I’d do as Mel says and not bother.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If using an air tag, will it notify you the moment someone interferes with the caravan? It is probably as much good as a reactive tracker. as said if you have just spent £30k plus on a caravan why would you want to skimp by having inferior trackers?

If you phone the police and tell them that your caravan is being towed down "New Road in Newtown" will they respond. I doubt it as you are Joe Soap and they have no idea whether it is a prank call or not and I don't blame them for not responding.
No Airtag is capable of notifying you of any movement. It is just an ultra cheap and far less capable alternative.

Many do not want a tracker at all.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Some years ago our dealer had a recovered stolen caravan in for repairs. No matter how hard they tried the repair cost wasn’t enough to declare it a write off. The inside was heavily soiled and trashed. Unbelievable what the thieves did. Even repaired the owners didn’t want it back so did a px.
Unless your Insurers say you must have a tracker device I’d do as Mel says and not bother.

Some caravans are stolen to be sold off as parts as then untraceable. They steal the caravan and then park it up somewhere and if no one comes for it, they then strip it down. Many insurance companies have a requirement that if the caravan is a twin axle a tracker is required as many newer twin axle caravans will cost well in excess of £40k.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We let our tracker subscription lapse after discovering the savings on insurance were not that great.

Additionally if somebody takes it we wouldn't want it back anyway. So we just do what our insurance requires regarding anti-theft precautions.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We let our tracker subscription lapse after discovering the savings on insurance were not that great.

Additionally if somebody takes it we wouldn't want it back anyway. So we just do what our insurance requires regarding anti-theft precautions.
For us it is not a matter of saving a couple of pence, but more for peace of mind plus many insurance companies insist on a tracker for a twin axle. If the caravan is recovered before the insurance pay out, you will have no choice except to take it back. A decent tracker will help avoid riff raff using the caravan as it should be recovered fairly quickly.

Also if an insurance company need to pay out, you can bet your bottom dollar that your premiums will increase dramatically the next year and probably more than the savings you made by not having a tracker on the stolen caravan. The insurance company may insist on a tracking device in the replacement caravan.

However it is up to the individual to decide whether they want a tracker or not!

Reactions: Saxo Appeal

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
For us it is not a matter of saving a couple of pence, but more for peace of mind plus many insurance companies insist on a tracker for a twin axle. If the caravan is recovered before the insurance pay out, you will have no choice except to take it back. A decent tracker will help avoid riff raff using the caravan as it should be recovered fairly quickly.

Also if an insurance company need to pay out, you can bet your bottom dollar that your premiums will increase dramatically the next year and probably more than the savings you made by not having a tracker on the stolen caravan. The insurance company may insist on a tracking device in the replacement caravan.

However it is up to the individual to decide whether they want a tracker or not!

If my insurance co. Insisted I would have no choice. They don't so I choose not to have one.

My post wasn't some sort of challenge to those who choose to have one. It was just a statement of what we choose to do the same as others, including contributors to this thread.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
A tracker does nothing to prevent theft, but might assist in recovery. However........
It's worth looking at the additional premium imposed for not having one compared to the initial purchase cost plus tje annual subscription of a tracker.
Personally I have invested my money in physical security to prevent any theft.
As always, personal choice/preference

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Buckman said

The Jury is out on that one. I was expecting a massive hike in premium after the claim last year £3k. Plus the mandatory 15/20% inflation factor. Unbelievably a zero increase. Same as last year.
Certainly on a new TA I would expect their insistence on a tracker

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
A tracker does nothing to prevent theft, but might assist in recovery. However........
It's worth looking at the additional premium imposed for not having one compared to the initial purchase cost plus tje annual subscription of a tracker.
Personally I have invested my money in physical security to prevent any theft.
As always, personal choice/preference
Good point… I’ll strap a German shepherd to the caravan outside :ROFLMAO:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One contributor continually claims their tracker is "proactive" That is just advertising hype, all trackers or alarms only raise the alarm after the caravan has been attacked, which makes them reactive. The difference is the way the tracking service responds to an activation. You need to choose a model and service that meets your needs, but there is always a cost to this.

The criminals will always go for the easiest target, so the trick is to make your caravan less appealing to them. Simply having a hidden tracker won't deter them, you need to make it clear you have one and the same argument goes for other security devices becasue anything that will make your caravan more difficult to steal compared to others will make it less attractive.

Reactions: GUMPY and Jcloughie

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
One contributor continually claims their tracker is "proactive" That is just advertising hype, all trackers or alarms only raise the alarm after the caravan has been attacked, which makes them reactive. The difference is the way the tracking service responds to an activation. You need to choose a model and service that meets your needs, but there is always a cost to this.

The criminals will always go for the easiest target, so the trick is to make your caravan less appealing to them. Simply having a hidden tracker won't deter them, you need to make it clear you have one and the same argument goes for other security devices becasue anything that will make your caravan more difficult to steal compared to others will make it less attractive.

I was surprised that when our 'van's tracker was active when it was new that there was no stickers in the windows stating it had a tracker fitted. It was as if a potential thief was somehow supposed to take a chance on it having one or not.

Bought some generic 'tracker fitted' stickers off eBay and fitted them along with a couple for the car. Still have them fitted even though neither vehicle has an active tracker now. In fact the car never had one.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

It is definitely "Proactive" not matter what you say about it and how you personally define it. It is NOT advertising hype, but your own interpretation which is incorrect.

I will continue to mention that it is Proactive or reactive as those are the correct terms to use to define between the two different modes and makes it easier for others to understand.

We have been down this Proactive route several times, so no need to drag it up once again!.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Some may say we are playing with semantics. But according to what I read and understand they are not the same .
As far as I am concerned there is a big difference. It goes deeper than mere advertising hype.
My old Tracker is Reactive. It does nothing until the caravan has been moved or tilted. The Proactive models available today are more sophisticated and will I believe give a central station alarm if any entry attempt is made, never mind actually moving.
The Professional definition seems to be
“: Proactive monitoring is ideal for high-security locations where preventing incidents is crucial, while reactive monitoring may suffice for less critical”

Clearly a well defined difference !But surely not such an issue we need any fallout or major disagreement 🙀

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

In his post 2 Buckman expanded on what he means by Proactive and Reactive. That was probably because he's been hauled across the coals on more than one occasion on this subject. I found his explanation perfectly understandable in the context in which he used it, as I did on some of his earlier posts highlighting the difference between tracking systems. It may not pass scrutiny in The Times Saturday Comment section but it's more than sufficient for me to understand what he's saying.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
I'm not sure that the terminology used is that important reactive/pro active or whatever.

The simple fact is some trackers require one to discover the vehicle is missing before you do anything about it, the other type will alert you if the vehicle is tampered with and/or moves outside of a defined boundary or geofence.

Clearly the latter is the superior type of the two (potential false alarms aside). In the absence of alternative words to describe them there seems little point in deviating from what is currently used by most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts