Trading in question - do work before, or not?

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
We are thinking of trading in our 2012 Lunar Lexar which has developed a few problems. The most recent of which is both kitchen and bathroom taps have split (presumably they froze whilst in storage) and the sink tap is leaking below somewhere, presumably a loose hose caused by the freeze incident (not easiliy accessible as behind fridge). The van is also due a service.

So the question is do we pay for a service and for getting this work done, fitting two new taps which I have bought on ebay, or do we just list these as things that need doing when trading in? In other words, is it worth the expense, versus the money they might drop the trade in price by due to the issues they'd have to put this right? Or I could fit the taps myself, if that would be worth doing.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I very much doubt any dealer would go to the bother of checking the taps and drains, likewise they would probably plan on doing a service prior to it going on their forecourt.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would fix the taps if the old ones are obviously damaged otherwise w wing it.. Leave the service as the dealership should service the caravan prior to releasing it to the new buyer. One thing worth having is a full damp survey as sure as eggs are eggs the dealer will find damp somewhere :eek:

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
On the other hand if you have it serviced before trading it in you’ll know just what else (if anything) is wrong (ie. Damp). Armed with a fresh service report an unscrupulous dealer might be less tempted to lie about finding damp.

Aug 27, 2020
Visit site
I very much doubt any dealer would go to the bother of checking the taps and drains, likewise they would probably plan on doing a service prior to it going on their forecourt.
Erm, ok. I wasn't planning on not even mentioning the leak! Seems a tad dishonest.. or is that usual??

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I agree with Mr Plodd. But if you were thinking of selling privately, that would be different.

But if you feel it is dry. I would just let the dealer inspect it. Generally, they just do a visual, appearance and a quick damp check. If they are not happy, you can argue the situation at that time.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Erm, ok. I wasn't planning on not even mentioning the leak! Seems a tad dishonest.. or is that usual??
I don’t think it is dishonest, the dealer has every opportunity to check themselves. And they can ask. At that time, lying, would be dishonest.

I would not volunteer.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
legally you do not have to volunteer any information, as it is the buyers duty to ensure the goods or service are satisfactory before making a purchase, commonly known as "Buyer Beware" or "Caveat Emptor"

But any information you as a seller do give must be accurate and not misleading. You could be held accountable if you do lie.

Whilst that is the legal duty, you clearly have moral concerns, and were to knowingly sell a product with an undisclosed but known defect it may be counter to your own sense of moral duty. how will that make you feel?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have never ever had a dealer checking the taps when trading in a caravan. Normally they do not ask to see the service record either. However they are always quick to spot non existent damp. Your choice.

Reactions: GaryB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have bought the taps you may as well fit them as they are unlikely to fit the next caravan. As for the leak, if the dealer asks you if you know of any faults you are legally obliged to tell him, otherwise there is the the chance of a comeback, although unlikely. To be frank the cost of replacing a short length of pipe is so small I doubt a salesman keen to secure a sale will worry about it, but again you simply do not know.
I would buy a cheap damp meter and check the caravan so you et no unpleasant surprises and the dealer cannot try the old trick of finding condensation and saying it is damp. I did check one caravan before trading it in and found condensation under the window seals. It was a five minute fix, but if not done I do wonder what might have happened.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts