Traffic jams

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've just had a look. The whole web site is trying (not very successfully) to take the rise out of all, and be satirical. Purile is more appropriate.

In my last job, I covered about 150,000 miles in three years - mostly on motorways, during which time I collected 9 speeding points for exceeding the national limits, so I'm not a slow driver by any means (although I now pay more attention to the little yellow money grabbers!) My car's on board computer, when I replaced it last year, tells me that my average speed during this time was only 45mph! This low average was due to all the motorway hold ups we constantly get. So to say that caravanners slow everybody down and cause hold ups is a myth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I find this sort of thing very funny for two reasons.

First, the article itself is well written and quite funny. Simple as that.

Second, it's always great to see caravanners moaning about this sort of thing and how it's so wrong to take the mick out of us.

Bring it on!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Traffic speed is dictated by the speed of the vehicle at the head of any queue, More frequently lorries, cars and busses, than caravans!

May 10, 2007
Visit site
Interesting, in my past 13065.76 miles of mixed motoring I've averaged 36.3 mph.

Much of my motorway motoring speed is set by inconsiderate actions of others, not the drivers at the head of the queue. On the M23 yesterday I was in slow moving traffic six cars behind a colleague until aniother driver decided to start lane changing in a bid to gain a few extra metres. The knock on effect on a lorry and a car braking to avoid the lorry drivers forced action ended up with me out of sight of my colleagues car. At one point at a stand still on the motorway with miles of cars behind me coming to a stand still with no real hold up ahead.

Average road speeds are often a result of drivers single minded actions rather than them seeing the bigger picture of what is going on around them and behind them.

To many vehicles that can easily travel at 56 - 60 mph blindly maintain 50 on motorways in busy traffic with no thought for the chaos they are causing.

James

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But there's an irony here. We live in Sussex and have family in Hertfordshire, and are well experienced in M25 traffic jams around Heathrow. When they put in a speed limit and narrow lanes for the roadworks a couple of years ago, traffic flow was greatly improved. Obviously I cannot be sure that I am definitely comparing like with like, but we found it easier on several occasions.

Surely if all traffic on a very busy motorway travelled at 50mph instead of 70mph then flow would improve because of the reduced incidence of braking? Fuel economy would improve too.

May 10, 2007
Visit site
I would visit the UK every 4 - 6 weeks at that time Mike and had to tracvel in rush hour times. It was hell most of the time and I like many others avoided the M25 for two years and even the chaos that caused was better than the M25.

Now the widened section moves much more freely until they start playing with the speed limit gantry lights and cause chaos.

To regular users of the widened M25 the myth that buiding larger roads does not work has been blown out of the water. The whole M25 and motorways and slip roads joining it all need to be widened and lengthened.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Honest John in the Torygraph doesn't criticise the variable speed limits. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1&xml=/motoring/2007/06/16/nosplit/mrjon16.xml

In today's internet "column" he wrote "I continue to exclude from criticism the people responsible for variable limits on the Surrey section of the M25, because they seem to do a good job".

May 10, 2007
Visit site
An interesting view, I wonder if he drives on the road.

To drivers on the road there still appears to be no consistency as to how the M25 variable speed limits are applied in relation to traffic density and speed of the traffic.

James

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ria & Co

Ok I concede I could have defined it a bit better, perhaps A refinement should be;

My speed is affected by the vehicle(s)in front.

And - the fastest driver is always at the back of the queue

Feel free to pull these to bits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts