Transit van

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've been on towcar website, but it doesn't list our van. It's a panel van 115 T300S FWD
All I can see on V5 about weight is technical permissable max towable mass of trailer :
braked 1600kg, unbraked 750kg
There's nothing about kerb weight or any other weight that I can see.
So what's the maximum we can tow please??

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what model of transit you have but none are going to be a problem towing a 1600 kg caravan weightwise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WinnieSophie said:
Hi everyone. I've been on towcar website, but it doesn't list our van. It's a panel van 115 T300S FWD
All I can see on V5 about weight is technical permissable max towable mass of trailer :
braked 1600kg, unbraked 750kg
There's nothing about kerb weight or any other weight that I can see.
So what's the maximum we can tow please??

Hello Winnie,

I wish this could be a simple answer, but your question raises a number of issues which you need to address.

The first is the fact that your planning on using a commercial van This raises my concern about the driving licence you will need to tow a caravan. If you passed your driving test before 1st January 1997 then you won't have a problem as you will have entitlement BE as standard.

If you passed your test after 1st January 1997 then you will have entitlement B, and this restricts you to driving a vehicle (with or without a Trailer) where the combined MAM must not exceed 3500kg. This is absolute with no latitude. as its based on the documented figure for the vehicles involved.

The reason its concern is because a quick search discovered the Transit 300 series vans range in MAM (Also known as its GVW) from 2600 to 3300kg, and whilst it may be possible to find a caravan with a 900kg MAM (also known as its MTPLM) suited to the 2600kg model as the GVW increases the size of caravan would have to reduce. to keep the combined figure within 3500kg.

So please check your driving licence If you don't have entitlement BE or B+E then the project is a no go. You can take an extension test to attain entitlement B+E and that would mean you'd be fine with any practical combination of tow vehicle and caravan.

To answer your specific question, the Towed Weight Limit you have quoted from the V5 1600kg is the legal maximum towed weight the van should tow. But the UK caravan industry does suggest (and its only a suggestion with no legal force) that especially novice caravanners should aim to have a caravan whose MTPLM does not exceed 85% of the tow vehicles kerbweight. This is principally aimed at car drivers, where the caravan could easily dwarf the car and it might adversely affect the cars controlability in adverse condition. When it comes to using a van as tow vehicle the issues are perhaps not as critical, but never the less it is always sensible to aim to keep the trailer as light as possible. One of the problems is that Kerbweight is not a statutory figure, and not all manufactures quote it and some don't quote it with the drivers weight included.

In the absence of of kerbweight figure a close value would be the Mass in Service or Unladen wight. In any the manufactures stated towed weight limit must not be exceeded.

For simplicity if you choose a caravan with an MTPLM that does not exceed the Towed Weight Limit of the van then you can be certain the weights of the outfit are at least legal.

Weights are only part of what you need to do to make the outfit good to tow. The tow vehicle and the caravans should both be in good mechanical condition, Tyres must be properly inflated and the pressure adjusted according to the manufactures for towing, Good loading practice should be observed to set a 5 to 7% of MTPLM nose load and ensure stable towing. Most of all the driver drive well.

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Thank you. Yes we both passed our test before 1997, so that should be ok.
Sounds complicated, but then it's the first time I've had to think about it.
Thanks again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's good news.

I don't think you should have any problems with a caravans of up to 1600kg MTPLM, unless the transit is also loaded up to its maximum weight when you might find the engine lacking in performance, but we do see plenty of transits pulling big caravans without to much apparent trouble.

Keep us informed.
PJL

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again,

I was intrigued by your comment that you could not find any details of the van, and I agree, I can find lots of similar references but not for a "115 T300S FWD"

What I have discovered is that the 115 engine does not seem to have been used for e FWD Transit only for RWD models.

I'm guessing you don't have the van yet, if not I strongly suggest you clarify with the seller the exact model that being sold. You can do an online check against the registration number.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hi again,

What I have discovered is that the 115 engine does not seem to have been used for e FWD Transit only for RWD models.

I'm guessing you don't have the van yet, if not I strongly suggest you clarify with the seller the exact model that being sold. You can do an online check against the registration number.

A quick search, starting with Wikipedia brings this up as part of the Wikipedia entry relating to the Transit ...

“The 6-speed transaxle was introduced on the mid-power FWD in late 2008 when the 110 PS (81 kW) engine was upped to 115 PS (85 kW).”

Because anyone can contribute to Wikipedia entries, it is often advisable to source alternative verification of information on there, but given the loyal following and fan base of the Transit van over the decades, if the above statement was incorrect, I’m sure the contributor would have been corrected and the statement either modified or removed.

Link to page HERE

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest WinnieSophie !

Edit: Before you buy the van, just check that there isn’t an A-Frame and bits of shrapnel hanging off the back of it !

See HERE ! :unsure:

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
I thought that was strange too. We already own the van, it's an ex police 'paddy wagon' type. We had to take the 'cage out'! It was very heavy. Designed for abuse obviously.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts