Translate Please

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
After threatening to do it for long enough, I have finally bought myself a set of Thetford fridge winter vent covers. Simple to fit and only one short peace of text in the instructions on, Health and safety I quote. " If above your fridge a gas oven is installed the winter cover must be removed as soon as the gas bottle is open" sic
I think I know what it means but needed to read it a couple of times.
Has anyone seen a oven above a fridge, in a caravan???

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Hello Dave,

It’s almost the end of July, and so far, one of the hottest summers on record.

Perhaps you’ve run out of things to spend your money on ?

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Being as you have been and purchased the fridge cover you could move the cooker to above the fridge just so you can follow the instructions to the T :)
Joking apart have never seen a cooker above a fridge in UK caravans

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Something may have been lost in translation.

On the continent you will find many caravans will have a fridge which only has mains electric cooling. so the gas is seen as an optional extra.

The "oven" refers to the gas heating element and housing used in the fridge. And the reference to the gas bottle being open, I suspect they mean the gas valve on the fridge. The winter cover which obscures the fridges flue, must of course be removed as soon as you intend to use the gas.

So its poor translation.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Hello Dave,

It’s almost the end of July, and so far, one of the hottest summers on record.

Perhaps you’ve run out of things to spend your money on ?
Looking for a roller blind for van door, wasn't looking for them, couldn't find the blind. ,last pair on shelf. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi. I too purchased fridge vent covers and read the same instructions as you. Our continental motorhome has a small oven above the fridge (it is actually above the freezer which is above the fridge) as do many newer models. This is the reason for the instruction.
Mike
ps aren't they expensive? I bought mine off a motorhome blog site

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Mike_374351805 said:
Hi. I too purchased fridge vent covers and read the same instructions as you. Our continental motorhome has a small oven above the fridge (it is actually above the freezer which is above the fridge) as do many newer models. This is the reason for the instruction.
Mike
Thanks Mike.
Went to buy roller door blind, did't get that, picked vent covers up on a whim, as been said it's mid summer B) B)
Expensive, they are, left the stealers with wobbling knees.
Looking at the way they clip on, would you travel with them in place ? Don't look safe to me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The covers are a spring fit' onto the existing vent covers. Examine carefully before fitting. Fit the bottom edge fitst. Ensure the cover is correctly fitted - try to lift each corner gently - before towing.
If correct will be fine for towing. I fit mine each December before going to Spain often through low temperatures and strong winds. Just remember to remove them when you reach euphoria of 20plus degrees at New Year.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:

On the continent you will find many caravans will have a fridge which only has mains electric cooling. so the gas is seen as an optional extra.

The "oven" refers to the gas heating element and housing used in the fridge. And the reference to the gas bottle being open, I suspect they mean the gas valve on the fridge. The winter cover which obscures the fridges flue, must of course be removed as soon as you intend to use the gas.

So its poor translation.
Apologies Prof, come into this one late.
A lot of us have retrofitted small fans to the rear of the fridge to improve the air flow over the elements in the hot weather. Gas or 230 v electric makes no difference. The covers must be removed whether you are on gas or 230v electric in order to maintain maximum refrigeration and cooling airflow.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I fitted a pc fan with thermostat behind the fridge on my last caravan when we went to southern France. Worked okay (I think) but had to turn it off at night as neighbour seemed a but sensitive to the intermittent fan cutting in an out.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:

So its poor translation.
Apologies Prof, come into this one late.
A lot of us have retrofitted small fans to the rear of the fridge to improve the air flow over the elements in the hot weather. Gas or 230 v electric makes no difference. The covers must be removed whether you are on gas or 230v electric in order to maintain maximum refrigeration and cooling airflow.
Would this apply in freezing temp's, as they are winter covers, and excellent at cutting down drafts as well as preventing over cooling. As you say, they cover the whole vent, apart from the very top louvre Are they to be used only for storage or prevent water entering when I clean the van. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I have not used them on this van yet.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On our last two Coachman vans, I have never had problems with the fridges, either in winter, minus 5 c or in southern France 35c. So maybe its a "gimick" anyone needed to use these at all. ?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Technically according to Dometic, the vent covers should only be fitted if the outside temperature drops below 8 degs. I also use them when towing and when in storage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike_374351805 said:
Mike

I'm sorry Mike but I'd lay 10:1 that your interpretation is wrong.

The confusion is down to the translation of certain words. The common English concept of an oven as a cooking device is a narrow description not shared in other languages, its a closed device for applying heat to what it surrounds.

Appliance manufacturers will only write instructions that cover their appliances. They will specify how and where the appliance can be installed, The manufacturer of a stand alone product like a fridge, cannot possibly know how the final installer will position other appliances around it, so they will not set out operating instructions for other appliance around it. After all they won't know what make or model of appliance may be installed above it, so how could they give instructions on how to use it?

Consequently the fridge manufacture will ONLY give instructions that apply to its own product, not others.

This thread has nothing to do with additional fans fitted by users. Again the fridge manufacture cannot know if fans have been fitted or not.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This thread has nothing to do with additional fans fitted by users. Again the fridge manufacture cannot know if fans have been fitted or not.[/quote]
Prof, Why? The fan modification is well documented and used by a number of Forumites.
This is a Forum after all for discussion and idea exchange.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,
The OP is about the wording of the fridge manufacturer instructions. In the context of that matter the manufacturer does not as far as I know offer a fan option, so their instructions have nothing to to with fans.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Dusty,
The OP is about the wording of the fridge manufacturer instructions. In the context of that matter the manufacturer does not as far as I know offer a fan option, so their instructions have nothing to to with fans.
But Prof. If you read your earlier post you talk about matters not in the instructions. Is it a problem for for us to discuss the use of fans that can enhance the fridge performance with or without vent covers?
BTW, for as long as I can remember the vents do not block the gas flue. In fact they are specifically designed not to block the flue. So I have to disagree with your previous statement.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Winter covers were primarily designed for use in low temperatures (about 8 degrees and lower) to stop the fridge over cooling.
None of the covers on sale to the public completely cover the upper vent, Dometic have a short top cover to leave the gas exhaust completely clear. Thetford have a full width cover but it does not cover the top louvre and the fridge is vented inside the van anyway (whoever authorised that idea is mad).

Winter covers are also very useful if storing the van for any time as they prevent creepie crawlies getting in behind the fridge, and they are very useful when washing the van to keep water out of the back of the fridge.

On some vans, particularly EU built vans the fridge top vent is also used to vent heat from the oven which is normally sited next to the fridge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Dusty,
But Prof. If you read your earlier post you talk about matters not in the instructions. Is it a problem for for us to discuss the use of fans that can enhance the fridge performance with or without vent covers?
BTW, for as long as I can remember the vents do not block the gas flue. In fact they are specifically designed not to block the flue. So I have to disagree with your previous statement.

I'm sorry Dusty but you should read my posts again, as I have only related the instructions to the fridge. Any other mentions have been to explain the wording.

I will repeat that the appliance manufacturer CAN only provide operating instructions for their own appliance as they have no knowledge of what other appliances may have been fitted in the caravan/motorhome.

EDIT CORRECTION.
Yes I did write the cover obscured the flue. It therefore does not need to be removed for winter use. That is an error on my part, but I stand by the rest of my statement

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Prof.
Thank you for admitting your error, much appreciated. :)
I know what you wrote so do not need to re read it. The instructions are your reference not the OP.
Surely you cannot object to free speech and extra advice given by Forumites when we discuss fans in the context of the fridge. This cannot be a venue to be dogmatic ? Open dialogue and free ranging talk is what makes this a Forum work for the benefit of all :) IMO.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,
I most certainly am in favour of free speech, such freedoms are at the root of civilisation. :)

If the discussion wants to move onto fans that's fine, but specifically in relation to the OP's point about the fridge manufacturers instructions and what they refer too, they do not relate to fans or other manufacturers products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts