Transmission cooler for my x3

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello just wondering if any hear has a x3. Just wondering in a transmission cooler is worth getting or have is got one from factory.
There was a period when some BMWs required transmission coolers which were best fitted at the factory as it was difficult and expensive to retrofit one. I think you would be best seeking advice from a BMW dealership or BMW UK as they will know the configuration of your car. Your towing limit can be obtained from the makers label either in the engine compartment or on a B pillar.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
My X3 has a factory fit one that came with the factory fit towbar. Sorry, I am unable to tell you if there is any difference with or without. I am aware of plenty of people towing without the factory fit towbar/cooler that do not have issues.

Reactions: 1234 David 5678
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My understanding is that German-designed cars are designed to drive flat out on Autobahns (solo!) without overheating - this normally gives enough reserve of cooling to handle towing at 62 mph (100 kph)

Reactions: 1234 David 5678
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My understanding is that German-designed cars are designed to drive flat out on Autobahns (solo!) without overheating - this normally gives enough reserve of cooling to handle towing at 62 mph (100 kph)

It’s not driving flat out that tests the engine’s cooling performance, but towing on the towing limit up alpine passes on a really hot summer day.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It’s not driving flat out that tests the engine’s cooling performance, but towing on the towing limit up alpine passes on a really hot summer day.
It was overheating while flat out solo that prevented Opel fitting a Chevy V8 in the Omega - despite Holden fitting the same engine in sibling cars in Australia.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Years ago X5 was recommended to be fitted with an additional electric cooling fan .
I suggest checking the individual owners handbook or ask BMW. There is no “rule of BMW thumb 🤔🤔

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It was overheating while flat out solo that prevented Opel fitting a Chevy V8 in the Omega - despite Holden fitting the same engine in sibling cars in Australia.

Opel never planned to fit a V8 in the Omega. I was working at Opel Engineering at the time the Omega was developed and would have been involved if there had been any such plan.
They did build a prototype of its predecessor, the Senator with a V8, though, but that project was never followed up.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One of my ex SILs had a Lotus Carlton which was a fabulous car, Daughter absolutely loved driving it, but unfortunately it wasn’t included in the settlement 😱

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Opel never planned to fit a V8 in the Omega. I was working at Opel Engineering at the time the Omega was developed and would have been involved if there had been any such plan.
They did build a prototype of its predecessor, the Senator with a V8, though, but that project was never followed up.
They dropped a V8 in the Vauxhall Firenzi (Viva)Can-Am. It could go like the clappers.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
One of my ex SILs had a Lotus Carlton which was a fabulous car, Daughter absolutely loved driving it, but unfortunately it wasn’t included in the settlement 😱

The Lotus Carlton/Lotus Omega was a turbocharged V6, not a V8.
I think Opel regretted ever having had any dealings with the car. It was developed and produced by Lotus without any input from Opel other than it was sold through the Opel/Vauxhall dealer network. Rumour had it that it was so unreliable that for every car sold, the customer was given a second one for spares.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Lotus Carlton/Lotus Omega was a turbocharged V6, not a V8.
I think Opel regretted ever having had any dealings with the car. It was developed and produced by Lotus without any input from Opel other than it was sold through the Opel/Vauxhall dealer network. Rumour had it that it was so unreliable that for every car sold, the customer was given a second one for spares.
I thought it was a straight six cylinder.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, yes. You are right. The V6 came later after production of the Lotus ceased with the introduction of the Series 2 Omega/Carlton in 1994. Holden produced the V6.
Our Holden pickup had the straight six engine and was a doddle to work on. Think it was an early seventies model, but bought second hand by family in late seventies. Very reliable car.
It was sold in about 1990 and price as almost the same for what was paid for it originally second hand. It was sold to the first person to look at it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts