travel europe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
in the new year im off to europe due to being rubbish at languge am a bit worried about it.

In and near the camp sites do the local speak good english? or will i find it to much of a burden to go?? any advice?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's a bit difficult to give a clear 'yes' or 'no' answer as it depends on where you want to go. You shouldn't have any difficulty in any of the main holiday areas or en route there but, of course, off the beaten track it can be a problem in some countries, notably France and southern Europe. If you want to go abroad to get a first taste of 'foreign' without taking any risks regarding a possible language barrier, either stick to sites known to be frequented by English speaking tourists or try Holland, for example. On the other hand, you will nearly always find someone to help you out wherever you are. I'm here if you come to Germany, :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the opposite problem as I do speak French fairly well, and when I was on holiday recently in the Pas de Calais, I found it difficult to use my knowledge of the language, because as soon as I started to talk they switched into English!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the opposite problem as I do speak French fairly well, and when I was on holiday recently in the Pas de Calais, I found it difficult to use my knowledge of the language, because as soon as I started to talk they switched into English!
My school french came in very useful....even after thirty odd years!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always find that if you try your best with whatever language you have there is always someone who will try to help - even if it is in sign or mime. Booking ahead by post, if needed, can be a problem and I used to use a free translation service from the internet ( now lost due to a computer upgrade ) though www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en seems to offer pretty much the same service. This also comes in handy if you are required to 'phone ahead, say 24 hours, to confirm a booking. Take your translated script with you, then when the site answers, go for it.

Mike E

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts