Travel Insurance - Long stay

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
WE are taking the 'van to Spain in January, for just over 3 months and my annual travel insurer won't cover more than 45 days. Does anyone know where I can get sickness, cancellation etc. cover for this sort of stay? We are both 70 Y.O.A.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
I believe that if you are in recipt of a Old Age Pension Spain is fully reciprocal for Health Care ??? You could get Air Ambulance etc through the German equivalent of the AA.

You would need to check but I am pretty sure of the opening statement.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CC Red Pennant has a policy which cover up to 120 (or may be 122) nights away. you can choose to have just the "motoring" cover or motoring plus personal which should cover most of you needs. I've had my bus pas a few years longer than you and providing you can pass their health questionaire it can all be done on line. If not they may offer you cover but with exclusions for certain declared conditions.

Not perhaps the cheapest, but you can use the days as you like within the year i.e. have more than one trip.

This is the policy I use for annual visits to Spain of 90 days or more (ddepending on the date of Easter)

Can I suggest you also check your home insurance policy if the house will be unoccupied as most insurers limit this to 60 days although agin the CC home policy goes to 90 and perhaps a few more.

Believe the CCC also offers good policies but can't advise since I'm not a member.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
As far as I remember, the CC Red Pennant does either an annual multi trip, a long stay, or single periods of varying lengths. We are just back from an 87 day trip and used the single trip one which covers (I think) up to 94 days, I think we paid in the region of

G

Yes, the CC Policies are good, but they are very expensive for something you hope you never use. To take the long stay policy for 185 days will cost around

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Although we have never needed to use the Red Pennant, I think what they provide in the case of a breakdown is more than Mayday would (which we have had to use). And remember, you get a

G

If my vehicle was to break down on the way to a ferry I regret that I doubt I would take another tow vehicle, which of course would take time to set up. I would retreat to home, get it all fixed up,and think again. As for hotels, I also doubt they would pay hotels for 3 months, which is the length of my usual trip.

I accept that the Red Pennant is a quality product, but I am questioning whether the risk factor requires it. I have used it many times but even at

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We are insured with our Platinum Account with Lloyds for 62 days at a time. This is Free then we just pay for an extra month if neccessary. This is Personal Insurance.

For the Car and Caravan we are covered by ADAC the German AA. We have Partner Plus which means both my husband and I are insured driving our car or being passenger in anyone elses car in UK and Europe. We have Air Ambulance cover included in this too. 97 euros all in per year. We have an 8 metre caravan and this is not covered by AA, RAC or Green Flag ar less you go thro CC or C&CC which are double the money we are paying. ADAC cover this no problems. Very good to deal with and you can go on their website and it is is in part English. You can also get the whole website in English with Google Translate.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We are insured with our Platinum Account with Lloyds for 62 days at a time. This is Free then we just pay for an extra month if neccessary. This is Personal Insurance.

For the Car and Caravan we are covered by ADAC the German AA. We have Partner Plus which means both my husband and I are insured driving our car or being passenger in anyone elses car in UK and Europe. We have Air Ambulance cover included in this too. 97 euros all in per year. We have an 8 metre caravan and this is not covered by AA, RAC or Green Flag ar less you go thro CC or C&CC which are double the money we are paying. ADAC cover this no problems. Very good to deal with and you can go on their website and it is is in part English. You can also get the whole website in English with Google Translate.
The latter is Breakdown or Accident Cover by the way. Under Lloyds the Personal insurance goes till your 80 years old by the way. I am sure other Banks have this facility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts