Travel to perpignan

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
We are thinking of going to a site near here at the end of next week for easter, we would like any comments on doing this on the cheap and not taking the toll routes.

I looked on the michelin route finder and it would save me a Eur 100 each way but would take seven hours longer, so would it be a saving or is it a false econemy with the extra fuel I would use being on roads that would have me stop/starting a lot of the times i have a 3.2 paj.

We normaly do toll's.

Craig

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've done it, almost toll free, several times. I think it cost us about 14 euros in total. We usually head for Abbeville, and if we're coming from Dunkerque follow the D928 through Hesdin. At Abbeville take the non-toll A28 towards Rouen, then take the N154 towards Dreux, Evreux, Chartres and Orleans. There's a section near to Orleans where it's best to use the toll-road to avoid central Orleans.

At Orleans you continue down the N20 through Salbris (and there are a couple of very convenient overnght campsites on this road), at Salbris head over towards Bourges, and then on the D2076 towards St Pierre le Moutier. Then down through Moulins (by passing the town) and the D2009 via Gannat, then a short section of toll (one or two euros) takes you to Clermont Ferrand. From there the A75 is toll free to Beziers, where you can follow the D609 and D900 all the way down to Perpignan.

Obviously it's not as fast, and you'll certainly need an overnight stop, but you can buy cheaper fuel in supermarkets rather than expensive autoroute service stations too.

This year, with the value of the pound dropping against the euro, the tolls seem to be heavier than ever, and

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Scotchlad, it was the original poster who quoted 100 euros each way. Checking now with ViaMichelin, though, for car and caravan, the Michelin recommended route takes you via Clermont Ferrand and tolls are still 106.60 using their route, which goes down the A26, E15 towards Paris.

If you choose to go via Reims and Lyon, which many people still do the tolls are currently quoted at as massive 142.60 euros for car and caravan, one way.

Tolls have certainly risen this year - and as I said, the

G

Sorry, but you need (like us all) to get up to date with the new rules, and the old ones if OH is doing 60 on N roads. It is 90 km/hr for any outfit with gross train mass over 3500 kg on autoroutes and 80 km/hr for normal roads. That is 56 mph and 50 mph respectively. I suspect it will apply to most of us. My own gross train weight is 3200 kg, but my theorectical GTM is 3840 kg, so in the books, I am over the limit. Wonder how many Dutch will come flying past me, honking madly because I am holding them up.

see the following:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/news-and-events/news/overseas-news/2009/jul/speed-limits-in-france---update
However, as I just chug along, I doubt if I will see 60 , unless going downhill.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Fortunately we sneak in just below the 3,500 kilograms. Gross weight of the car is 2095, kerbweight 1483, and MTPLM of the caravan 1275 - phew. Actually we did know about this quite a while ago, when we read it in one of the French Caravan magazines we buy to read on holiday (geeks or what????). I can't find the article tonight (late, and one glass of wine too many) - but it was probably in May/June last year - or even in September the year before. It was one of the factors we took into account when buying our 'new' towcar - just enough weight and power to tow our van, without heavy duty fuel costs, no speed reductions applicable, and no extra road tax and insurance

French caravanners were up in arms on the 'Letters to the Editor' page of said magazine, because effectively it means you can tow a heavier caravan with a light car and be able (theoretically) to tow. A petition was being organised, but we didn't buy the next issue to see the results.

Seriously, though, we don't belt along at sixty, regardless - but stick sensibly to the speed limits, as well as the 'safety' limits on whatever roads we're travelling. OH enjoys travelling on roads which have a few 'surprises' and where you have to keep on the ball in case a tractor decides to take 'Priorite a Droit' in front of you. I generally stick to towing on the dual carriageway, or free autoroute sections, although have done one or two cross-country runs occasionally.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Val, do you have sites you can recommend past paris.

Craig
We generally stay overnight, on that route, at Camping Le Sologne, at Salbris - nice site, near a lake, walking into town, shops and supermarket, plus cheap fuel, or if we take a slightly different route, at Camping Municipal de Nevers, nice site, overlooking the river and the town across the river, same walking distance into town, and again a cheap supermarket with fuel.

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
We have changed our minds and are heading to camping Le Col Vert near Biarritz which doesnt open until the saturday and we catch the tunnel on the Thurs so I think we might try toll free down there with a stop on route.

Craig

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Fortunately we sneak in just below the 3,500 kilograms. Gross weight of the car is 2095, kerbweight 1483, and MTPLM of the caravan 1275 - phew. Actually we did know about this quite a while ago, when we read it in one of the French Caravan magazines we buy to read on holiday (geeks or what????). I can't find the article tonight (late, and one glass of wine too many) - but it was probably in May/June last year - or even in September the year before. It was one of the factors we took into account when buying our 'new' towcar - just enough weight and power to tow our van, without heavy duty fuel costs, no speed reductions applicable, and no extra road tax and insurance

French caravanners were up in arms on the 'Letters to the Editor' page of said magazine, because effectively it means you can tow a heavier caravan with a light car and be able (theoretically) to tow. A petition was being organised, but we didn't buy the next issue to see the results.

Seriously, though, we don't belt along at sixty, regardless - but stick sensibly to the speed limits, as well as the 'safety' limits on whatever roads we're travelling. OH enjoys travelling on roads which have a few 'surprises' and where you have to keep on the ball in case a tractor decides to take 'Priorite a Droit' in front of you. I generally stick to towing on the dual carriageway, or free autoroute sections, although have done one or two cross-country runs occasionally.
Val,

You need to check your weight claculations. It is not the kerb weight but the maximum permissible mass (ie tow car at maximum load) then add to that the technical permissible maximum weight of the trailer (braked). In the case of my Freelander 2 that amounts to 4505 kilos! It seems, my towing an Eriba makes no difference. However, I will do what the French do.

Phil

G

Yes, Val. Unfortunately apparently it is not what you weigh, it is what the manufacturer says you could weigh as a MAXIMUM. That will be on the VIN plate on the car and will be an awful lot higher than anything you are likely to tow. Your tow car probably has a maximum towing weight of around 1600 kg and add that to your GVW and I am afraid you are in the soup like the rest of us.

I am still really annoyed that not one caravan magazine except the CC seems to have any idea what is going on, and there seems to be considerable doubt as to whether the CC have got it right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts