Travel to Spain for Christmas / New Year

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi is anyone travelling to Spain for Christmas or New Year via the channel tunnel ???
That is a very long drive and will take at least two days to each Rose in northern Spain. Not a journey to undetake for a week or two away. You need aat least 4 weeks! The big issue is finding campsites along the route to stay overnight as not wise to stay at service stations.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are prepared to risk the weather, the Brittany Ferries sailings to Northern Spain are an option worth looking at. They look expensive at first glance, but when you factor in the fuel saved and nights away and food consumed when travelling they look quite good although it depends a bit on where in Spain you are going and where you live as to what you might save.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
If you are prepared to risk the weather, the Brittany Ferries sailings to Northern Spain are an option worth looking at. They look expensive at first glance, but when you factor in the fuel saved and nights away and food consumed when travelling they look quite good although it depends a bit on where in Spain you are going and where you live as to what you might save.
Hi,
We've done that crossing.Wife's not a good sailor so I was at the disco - up on the table !Whilst she was in bed groaning and moaning,a great crossing !

Reactions: AnnieB54
Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi there
Thank you for your replies.
I have been looking at the ferries to Santander and I dont like the idea of spending that much time on a boat rocking and rolling about !!! My son has just come back from Portugal via Luton airport and he said that was not much fun either !!! So I am back to looking at Newhaven to Dieppe and a bimble down in my car with a few stops
Kind regards
Anne

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi there
Thank you for your replies.
I have been looking at the ferries to Santander and I dont like the idea of spending that much time on a boat rocking and rolling about !!! My son has just come back from Portugal via Luton airport and he said that was not much fun either !!! So I am back to looking at Newhaven to Dieppe and a bimble down in my car with a few stops
Kind regards
Anne
We have done the crossing a couple of times but in the summer so hardly any rocking. I prefer the rocking and rolling as generally service is then first class you have the dining room or the pub to yourself. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you aren't a "good sailor" then Newhaven to Dieppe can be an exciting crossing in winter and 4 hours can feel more like 40 hours. Why not go for the shortest crossing or tunnel and just bimble a bit more.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you aren't a "good sailor" then Newhaven to Dieppe can be an exciting crossing in winter and 4 hours can feel more like 40 hours. Why not go for the shortest crossing or tunnel and just bimble a bit more.
One of the worst ferry crossing was in the early seventies on the ferry from Robben Island to Cape Town. One minute you could see Table mountain and the next it disappeared. It was not know as Cape of storms for nothing.
Another was off the Wild Coast on the Edinburgh Castle which in those days did not have stabilisers. I think we were the only one sin the dining hall that night. On its next trip down the coast a wave hit the forecastle and took out all the windows so must have been one hell of a wave.

Edinburgh Castle.jpg

Jun 2, 2022
Visit site
I plan to go to Spain this summer and think that I will choose the ferry way. The tunnel looks fun, but the way takes too long for me. I just can’t be too long on a bus because I feel dizzy and can even throw up on the train. It is embarrassing for me and the others, so I prefer not to travel by bus for too long. Thankfully, I’ve found this website: dbauskunft.com, and they helped me get a very good train ticket. Thanks to them, I have a good place near a window on a fast train that will take me to the shore where I will board the ferry.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I plan to go to Spain this summer and think that I will choose the ferry way. The tunnel looks fun, but the way takes too long for me.
Which ferry route are you taking Channel, or direct to Spain. We used the Portsmouth Santander economy ferry. Not too bad and cheaper than the nice cruise ferries.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
We used the Portsmouth Santander economy ferry. Not too bad and cheaper than the nice cruise ferries.

I agree! I've used it several times myself and liked it. But it doesn't operate now. When it did run the two vessels used were the Baie de Seine and the Etretat - both of which Brittany Ferries have returned to their owners.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I am off to Murcia mid December via Santander. can anyone recommend an overnight stop over. I think Madrid is about halfway
My days of travelling to Spain for the winter are now sadly over, but I did it for twenty-five winters. If you are wanting a stopover close to Madrid, I always chose either https://www.picodelamiel.com/ which is at KM67 on the A1 (north of Madrid, or https://www.lamarinaresorts.com/resorts/camping-aranjuez/ which is just off the A4 south of Madrid. Both are great for an overnight stop and both give a discount if you have an ACSI membership card.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts