traveling with a cat?

Mar 23, 2007
Visit site
it had to happen! just retired no longer have to worry about the kids,new car new van.time to realize the dream, travel europe,see what the UK has to offer!!what do we do with the cat!!

anyone else had this dillema? We would like to take her with us but afraid we may lose her. catteries are out neibours are ok for 1 or 2 weeks. but we want to be away for i or 2 months. any advice is welcome

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We are not cat owners, but if she was ours she wouldn't stay at home!

Had you considered tethering her on a stretchy lead, that way she will have a bit of freedom outside when the weather is suitable, and at other times in the 'van with a litter tray!

Obviously if she spends alot of time indoors when you are at home, she will prefer to be with you anyway! Have you thought about taking her out for the weekend or a short break to get her used to the idea?

We actually came across a couple who bought a new 'van and they had to sleep in it for a couple of nights at home so their cat could get used to his new home!:O)

Mar 23, 2007
Visit site
did try a harness & lead once long ago but it was a bit like flying a furry kite . we are trying to get her used to the inside of the van but the concequences of taking her away from known territory could be Catastophic!!!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Try getting her used to a collar to begin with. Then advance to collar and stretchy light weight lead. At this point it would be helpful if the OH could assist with dangling a favourite toy in front so she is able to play without having sight of the lead. Hopefully, she will forget about the restraint and enventually become used to it.

I think it would be a nightmare taking her away and trying to keep her in the van all the time.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
How about this for a plan:

1. place cat in cat basket and load into car.

2. hitch up caravan

3. head for ferry port via the home of one of the kids you no longer have to worry about.

4. on arrival cause a small diversion while your better half hides cat and basket in said home.

5. Say rapid fond farewells and head for the ferry at best possible speed.

6. As you board the ferry ring the offspring to apologise for leaving the cat.

After at least 18 years of hard work and expense on your part towards them, the kids shouldn't complain, and anyway you'll be half way thro France. You may need to sedate the cat so it doesn't blow the plan as you make your escape. I don't know the best way to do this, as I don't have a cat. I was once party to the inebriation of a budgerigar, but thats another story.

However you solve this problem, have a great trip.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Lots of companies out there that will come to your house daily while you are away. Type "cat sitter" or "pet sitter" into search engine and see if there is one in your area.

A lot depends on your cat's personality. A long - time cat owner, most of my pets would not have handled caravanning, but one did, and came on several holidays. She had a lot of sense, staying in the van for 24 hours and then venturing out a little more.

She loved travelling in the car , whereas other cats hated it - this is a good indicator of how your cat will go on. You know your cat. Leads and baskets will help , but you know whether your cat is the wandering type and how she/he reacts to change.

One cat I had hid under the sink unit for a fortnight after a house move - not a candidage for cat-avanning!

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tony

We have two cats and both love going in the car and love to go on holiday with us but then we did start them of very young, we have never had a problem with them running away! They both like there food to much to run away.

Carl

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Many years ago after collecting to emaciated ageing cats from their first trip to a cattery my mother vowed that they would holiday with her and father in the caravan.

She bought harnesses straight away and spent manyy weeks and months putting them on the cats and letting them get used to them before adding leads.

The caravan lived in the garden so she would put their beds and food in the van and leave the two old boys in the caravan or sit in it with them as she knited and watched the TV. By spring time the cats were happy caravanners and went on many a trip and both lived to 20+ years and even put up with being walked on a lead.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Ive taken both cats and dogs caravanning for many years and never had a problem

however it helps if you start them as kittens or puppies they seem to take to it better

only problem i had was the cat liked it so much every time i opened the van door at home the cat was in it so it didn't get left at home

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts