Traveling with bed made.

Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
My caravan is a twin dinette, when travelling is it okay to have the bed made at the rear of the caravan? We have 2 children and having the bed made while traveling will save us time when arriving to the site later in the evening when the kids are tired.

Thanks

Chris

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My caravan is a twin dinette, when travelling is it okay to have the bed made at the rear of the caravan? We have 2 children and having the bed made while traveling will save us time when arriving to the site later in the evening when the kids are tired.

Thanks

Chris
Yes you can - but check that the infill slats haven't moved during transit.

Reactions: Mel
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Thanks

Chris

The answer is probably yes, but check your nose load before hitching.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Many years ago we had a twin dinette and travelled with the rear bed made without problem. There was a fold away bunk to put above the rear bed. We never towed with that made up.
Mel

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Of course its OK ! Why wouldn't it be?

Where is it written that you cannot/should not travel with beds made up?

Many caravans (mine included) have an island bed and that remains made up at all times :rolleyes:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why should a bed whether made up or not affect the noseweight? The weight is always behind the axle anyway.

Not everyone carries the bedding for a particular berth in it's under seat locker.

Any change in the way a caravan has been loaded, may affect the noseload. Moving 7.5 Kg of bedding from the front to the rear of a caravan could make 15Kg difference at the hitch.

Or there may be something heavy that occupied the floor under the rear dinette table, but because the bed is made up now that item has been moved elsewhere.

It may make no noticeable difference, but for the reasons above, it might and that could render the outfit to become more sensitive to instability..

Are you suggesting you shouldn't check?

Reactions: Tobes
Aug 25, 2019
Visit site
Of course its OK ! Why wouldn't it be?

Where is it written that you cannot/should not travel with beds made up?

Many caravans (mine included) have an island bed and that remains made up at all times :rolleyes:

Island beds are designed to stay in position at all times. So that's taken into account when towing etc. So I'm just checking from people's experience.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Thanks

Chris

As mentioned there is no issue with the bed being made up however it is very important that you check your nose weight of the caravan. Having the bed made up may add another 10 or more kgs weight to the rear of the caravan and this could cause an issue of the tail wagging the dog.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We often travel with the bed made up. On the basis that bedding would normally be stored in or under the bed it should make no real difference to weight distribution.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We travel with the side bed " made up," in as much as the duvet is folded square to the middle bulkhead and the pillows on top, rather than having them all towards the rear of the caravan, probably no more than 5kg, but every little bit counts in the end.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Unless you store your bedding elsewhere other than under the seats I can’t see what it really matters. My deceased in laws made up their front single beds every morning and sat on them daytime.
What does concern me and , mea culpa, I’ve made the same mistake. Over our travels used clothing goes in the rear laundry bin. Full this can weigh 15 kg+. That does affect the nose load!

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We have always left the bed made up when travelling, I find I have to use ratchet straps to stop my wife rolling out of it when going over speed bumps though.

The only slight downside would be if a mattress topper was being used as they have a considerable weight penalty.

Reactions: Ferrodo
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm wondering if I (and others) have misunderstood the OP's question. When Chris said " the bed made at the rear " I presumed he meant it was set in its bed form and made up with all the bedding.

If you add the bedding then that might involve a weight transfer which would affect the nose load.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think the layout that Chris owns and describes as twin dinette was at times used by couples prior to the popularity of fixed bed layouts with the rear being left as a made up double and the front used as the dinette. If there is any bunk it should be stowed for travel for safety but otherwise should be fine during travel.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think the layout that Chris owns and describes as twin dinette was at times used by couples prior to the popularity of fixed bed layouts with the rear being left as a made up double and the front used as the dinette. If there is any bunk it should be stowed for travel for safety but otherwise should be fine during travel.

Our single axle 2004 Lunar had the fixed bed across the rear and it always felt unstable when towing even with awning between front bunks and we did have a very bad snake on the M5 whilst towing it. After only 6 months we traded it in for a twin axle and never looked back.

Reactions: GaryB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our single axle 2004 Lunar had the fixed bed across the rear and it always felt unstable when towing even with awning between front bunks and we did have a very bad snake on the M5 whilst towing it. After only 6 months we traded it in for a twin axle and never looked back.
Another advocate of TA stability tic.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site

It just shows how no two are the same, we had a 2002 Sterling Eccles Jewel then a 2007 Elddis Avante 540 with a fixed bed across the back and both towed fine. Got to admit we had a twin axle Sprite Quattro EB from 2018 until last September and that was incredibly stable on all journeys.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It just shows that if you change almost anything on a caravan, it can affect the way it tows, so if you change something, then be wary and if necessary recheck things like nose load and weight distribution.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It just shows how no two are the same, we had a 2002 Sterling Eccles Jewel then a 2007 Elddis Avante 540 with a fixed bed across the back and both towed fine. Got to admit we had a twin axle Sprite Quattro EB from 2018 until last September and that was incredibly stable on all journeys.
We also had a Sterling Eccles Jewel with the rear bed, it towed great, and at that time I wasn't too concerned about weights and balance, After a huge snaking with a Coachman 575 with rear Island bed, I had a huge rethink about balancing kit.

Reactions: GaryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts