travelling around Europe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My husband and I are planning on taking a gap year or two to travel Europe in a motorhome. We haven't bought one yet and are inexperienced in motorhome travel. Though really excited at the prospect of discovering new places and sunny climes, I would appreciate any advice which more seasoned travellers would consider useful. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First you should find a website and forum that deals with motorhome/ long time travel. One I know of is touringandtenting.com although the forum members do seem a bit namby-pamby and preoccupied with themselves. Another is http://www.motorhomefacts.com/

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree that T&T is a useful source of info for anyone wishing to venture into Europe (or anywhere else for that matter !) - I'm intending to take my first trip across next year and the knowledge I've gained so far is invaluable. If you ask a question you normally get a sensible response within a couple of hours - the silly ones take seconds !

On the subject of namby pamby ...... you must be joking (or smoking something VERY strange !)

G

The only namby-pamby person who would use touringandtenting.com is you snakey. Go and take a closer look and then decide who is slithering around on their belly.

Long live touringandtenting.com!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Snakey

You are obviously a facts only man (or women). Most web forums are communities and the good ones combine a friendliness with knowledge and you can't be serious all the time. I think T&T is an excellent example of a good balance. I would expect a forum such as Practical Caravan to be of a more serious nature because it has an important role in providing us campers with facts and information that you would expect from a serious and respected publication.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To get back on topic!

http://www.motorhomefacts.comis a community of over 3000 motorhome owners and would-be motorhomers with a wealth of knowledge and information that all can draw on.

The MH-list is an e-mail based motorhome group which can be joined through the website http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk or used through Yahoogroups

HTH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What can i say for first time users going into Europe...Your gona love it. I would reccomend it to anyone, just pick up and go. What me and wife have done recently is had the new refillable gas bottles installed, ideal. We used to carry spare cylinders, i.e. increasing the weight and less space for us but now all we have to do when we stop for fuel is top the cylinders up with LPG. This is widely avaiable here in the UK and Europe, + its often cheaper in Europe. I was paying just under

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
1 Get a good campsite guide - Alan Rogers Europe, Michael Green Guide for France.

2 Get some Camping Cheques before you go - off peak (ie not mid-July to end Auguest you can stay 1 night for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sneaky,

Touringandtenting.com namby-pamby EH! Well if having a website of a thousand FRIENDLY members and growing rapidly is namby-pamby well it's something special then and I am proud to be a namby-pamby (your word not mine). Where else can you ask for any form of caravanning query and receive good reliable and friendly advice in a matter of hours.

They run great informal rallies full of namby-pamby's (again your words) all having a great time I can assure you at all level of camping with no one-upmanship at all.

I have just completed my first European tour and there was plenty of advice that made my maiden voyage a pleasure especially as a first timer.

I feel you would be better joining a group who watches paint dry as I feel you would be better suited there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have found that the site that Snakey refers to touringandtenting.com to be VERY informative on ALL aspects of caravan life. From what BBQ to buy, site information, practical information on caravan common faults. The members are Ordinary people who are just normal caravaners and like to chat about caravanning things. There are many pages of practical and technical advice on many subjects - including computers. There are some great discussions on the best tow vehicles. In fact with the diversity of membership you can ask practically ANY question and someone in the forums will have had practical knowledge and pass it on... And it's all FREE... you don't have to belong - you can dip in and post in the non-members areas.

This is a community web-site totally non commercial set up by two caravaners who have an interest in the internet. So far they have organised seven rallies for the members who have come from the North of Scotland and the South Coast of England. We even have Irish members, who come over. Dont knock unless you have tried it !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts