Travelling overseas

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!
We are two young graduates trying to set up our business which will be dedicated to caravanner´s needs especially those travelling with their caravan abroad.
We have already identified some issues we will try to tackle but we also need your input.
What are the 3 main problems you are facing when travelling with your caravan? Please rank them according to their importance.
We would like to stress out that the purpose is to learn from you; we don´t have a product yet and we are not selling anything to you.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't know what you have in mind, but I don't have any particular issues or needs. To me, it's immaterial whether I'm touring at home or overseas and preparation for both is exactly the same. The only difference is the need to book a sea crossing, but I wouldn't call that a problem. Everthing is already there anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most who travel overseas use one of the two main clubs to assist in bookings, ferries, etc and both clubs have travel services geared to supporting those who travel both in UK and overseas, and when abroad the medical and vehicle,van support pacakges are specifically tailored to the travellers needs. I would find it difficult to identify anything that I need additional service provision for when we are abroad.
However self-guided 4x4 holidays on non-damaging trails in Spain and France would be useful. Something like Inntravel for 4x4 vehicles with options for camping, B&B, hotels etc and vehicle support in case anything should go adrift would be of interest. Just the thing my old Pajero would jump at!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
1. Cheaper ferries with more flexible return dates. Those living in Europe have a distinct advantage because they can just set off when they please, and return when they please, without the need to be back to catch the particular ferry they're booked on. Because we have to book ferries our timings have to be much more carefully worked out
Other than that I can't think of anything. We've been caravanning for thirty odd years in Europe, so are old hands - as are many others we meet along the way. Once you've caravanned in Europe you tend to go back every year!
In anything other than absolute peak season most of us don't book sites, and just go where we please, staying as little or as long as we wish, and paying at the end of our stay. Driving is easier in most of Europe, and there are more caravan friendly places to stop.
It might be better to ask the question in a different way - for example What is putting you off taking your caravan to Europe? And put it on the General section of forums such as this one, rather than the overseas section. That way you would know the sort of things those who don't yet go to Europe consider to be problems. Those of us who do go just tend to get on with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Affording it, affording it and affording it - to answer your three questions. This answer coveres a number of problems which I cannot see being resolved by another 'good' or service, but appreciate your initiative and would be very happy to be proved wrong.
The fact of the matter is that the main costs of European touring - ferry, fuel, insurance, campsite fees - have all risen considerably more than the rate of inflation over a number of years, whereas incomes of all types - regular wages, pensions, investments have fallen against the same index.
Insurance is also age related, and as the average age of the population is increasing these costs have increased disproportionately.
Then the general costs of living have also risen way above the rate of increase of income (even, despite some newspapers today0 for those of us above 65) and travel generally has to come out of disposable income rather than standing charge provision.
A further complication is that for many of us who winter abroad, there are savings in the way of reduced heating and electricity and water costs, but these are very difficult to quantify as we never know how much oil we may have burned if we had stayed home. Generally food and household costs are equall or below what we would have spent at home - unless of course, you eat out a lot.
So target the parts of the sum which are unique to touring - ferries and campsites with insurance as a follow-up. It is very unlikely you can influence the cost of fuel very much.
Here are two sets of figures. Both relate to recent stays - first in Spain of 116 days (including transit through France each way but Western channel Crossings, the second to Provence for 42 days using Eurotunnel (twice as far from my base as the ferry).
Spain. Ferry 17% Insurance 10% site fees 44% fuel and tolls 29% of total cost. No allowances for UK savings on heating etc. Food costs assumed equal.
France Eurotunnel 14% insurance 8% site fees 33% fuel and tolls 45%
I am composing this on the fly and it is now clear that insurance is not such a major factor after all. Ferry costs will be heavily influenced by where you live, time of year of travel etc. In my example Spain is Decmeber to April, France is September to end October.

I really regret having to be such a wet blanket, but I believe it better to be realistic. The number of people how have been sucessful in caravan related ventures is pretty small, and most of these are not european touring specific - e.g. motor movers - unknown until about 14 years ago, or frresh and waste water containers where one brand name has become almost the generic. So I can only suggest you concentrate on something applicable to caravan touring in general and not European touring specifically. I would also suggest a product which does not have a high after sale burden (service, warranty etc.) I have no idea what this is or I would be making it myself ! Good luck !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts