Travelling round London`

Jun 19, 2006
Visit site
I am going to Germany at the end of August and hate travelling round London on the M25 anti clockwise. I live in the Midlands and wonder if travelling clockwise and going through the tunnel under the Thames would be better or just as much hassle. Has anyone been this way and what are the pros and cons. Thanks Nigel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We generally travel from the MI via the Dartford Crossing (Bridge going south) although this year we stayed at Alderstead Heath overnight on the way down so went anti clockwise. Perhaps we have been lucky but not really experienced any problems going via the Dartford Crossing.
David

Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
We have traveled down from Worcester to Dover a few times over the last couple of years and allways gone Anti Clock from M40 as this is the route Google and TOMTOM would pick. I allways keep an eye on the trafic reports as it is always good to have an alternative. I have found that getting onto the M25 between 10:00 and 11:00 to be the best time. The main problem with going over the bridge is the Toll as this tends to slow down the traffic and can cuse big delays. Please note Bridge traveling south very good view of London, Tunnel traveling north (normaly).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would take the southern route i.e anticlockwise. If the Darford crossing gets congested you reall have no alternative, whereas you can often doge say accident congestion on M25 south by reverting to non-motorway roads.

Given good traffic information and assuming you are coming from west Midlands, I might even consider M40 to Oxford, A34 to Newbury, M4 east then A 329M Bracknell / Lightwater and onto M25 via Lightwater and Chobham.
This would all depend on time of day and weekday or weekend and is clearly more complicated than M40 or M1 to M45, but you do have more choices of alternatives if your satnav shows up major congestion.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I think you would have problems Carper as there would be oncoming traffic and you would be on the wrong carriageway.

You should be going over the QE2 bridge……
smiley-surprised.gif

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I have traveled the M25 several time in the last few weeks for my work and the northern section, clockwise is a nightmare with road works if i were you i would stick to the anti clockwise route.

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
A14 is a good route but there can be problems at the Catthorpe interchange (M6, M1, A14 junction) and as the A14 is only 2 lanes, if there is an RTC you could be held up for ages

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts