Travelling to Barcelona with caravan

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have a trip planned in 6weeks time to Vilanova park near Barcelona! I have heard through the grapvine that the A7 north or south of Barcelona (the very road we have to travel along) is quite dangerous in terms of pirates/theives scamming to get you to pull over then rob you of your belongings. Has anybody heard of such practice or is it just scare mongering? has anyone travelled this route or indeed this site? Any advice for a safe trip or should we just stay in France. Please help

Michael

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Michael,

We have travelled the A7 around Barcelona many times. It is one of my least favourite routes, not because of Highwaymen but the traffic at peak times. Things have improved with the construction of additional lanes in recent years but it is well worth avoiding at 'rush hour'. Friends of ours were more or less 'forced' to stop by a group in a car who tried to tell them their rig was on fire. The purpose was to cause confusion and get them out of the cab. They even lit newspaper under his rear wheel arch. Our friends are very well travelled and treated it appropriately - he showed them his jack handle while his wife made an overt call on her mobile. The 'robbers' drove off.

The A7 is a busy and well policed road. You should not worry. Countless Brits pass along it every year and without incident.

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hi Michael. Don't worry! We have travelled on that route every year since 1984 and never had a problem. I would say though: the services are not as good as those in France. If you must stop, only use those with a petrol station; the others are merely lay-bys. Dont leave the outfit unattended and beware of touts or people asking directions.Common sense prevails!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I have travelled that way a few times without problems but it has got a reputation for pirates.I would go along with the advices already given and plan to drive through the area without comfort or fuel breaks just in case. We did think we were being scammed last time and I was rather rude to some dutch who were only trying to tell us that we had a window open in the van and curtains flying free.

Dont worry too much about it just go. By the way at Villanova Park check out the pitches up at the top near the "Zoo" before deciding where to go as we like it much better up there even though its a little further from the pool and shop and you might too.

Dave.

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael,

Don't be to concerned, there used to be a big problem on this section of road for quite some time, but the guardia eventually found the main culprits. The number of reported incidents seems to have deceased now. The advice which has already been provided is sound advice. If possible make sure you have a full tank and don't stop to refuel on this section. If another car comes alongside you and starts signaling that something is wrong and you feel confident that all is ok just keep going, don't pull over, and make sure they see your passenger pick up the mobile and use it. Enjoy and don't worry you will be fine.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Michael,

We have travelled the A7 around Barcelona many times. It is one of my least favourite routes, not because of Highwaymen but the traffic at peak times. Things have improved with the construction of additional lanes in recent years but it is well worth avoiding at 'rush hour'. Friends of ours were more or less 'forced' to stop by a group in a car who tried to tell them their rig was on fire. The purpose was to cause confusion and get them out of the cab. They even lit newspaper under his rear wheel arch. Our friends are very well travelled and treated it appropriately - he showed them his jack handle while his wife made an overt call on her mobile. The 'robbers' drove off.

The A7 is a busy and well policed road. You should not worry. Countless Brits pass along it every year and without incident.
Thank you all so much for the advice! we plan to completely fill up with fuel before crossing the border and just motoring the few hours or so to the site

I'll keep you all posted as now going to continue with our planned trip!! and use a bit of common sense

Kind regards

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi Michael. Don't worry! We have travelled on that route every year since 1984 and never had a problem. I would say though: the services are not as good as those in France. If you must stop, only use those with a petrol station; the others are merely lay-bys. Dont leave the outfit unattended and beware of touts or people asking directions.Common sense prevails!
Thank you all so much for the advice! we plan to completely fill up with fuel before crossing the border and just motoring the few hours or so to the site

I'll keep you all posted as now going to continue with our planned trip!! and use a bit of common sense

Kind regards

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for your reply and advice

Kind regards

Michael

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I have travelled that way a few times without problems but it has got a reputation for pirates.I would go along with the advices already given and plan to drive through the area without comfort or fuel breaks just in case. We did think we were being scammed last time and I was rather rude to some dutch who were only trying to tell us that we had a window open in the van and curtains flying free.

Dont worry too much about it just go. By the way at Villanova Park check out the pitches up at the top near the "Zoo" before deciding where to go as we like it much better up there even though its a little further from the pool and shop and you might too.

Dave.
Cheers Dave

I did laugh about you being rather rude to some dutch who were only trying to tell us that we had a window open in the van!!Thanks for the Villanova Park advice too and I will check out the pitches near the "Zoo"!.

Kind Regards

Michael

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our friends were stopped by bogus customs officials 2 years ago and during a "search" for drugs they managed to palm all there Euros which were still in the wrapper from the post office and a wedding ring

Another friend(ex police) of ours carries a second wallet with expired credit cards and a little money to hand over in the event of a hold up

Its also well worth dividing up any cash and having it in different places(hindsight)

We take a minimal amount in cash and draw from money machines using Nationwide Debit cards when needed

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Our friends were stopped by bogus customs officials 2 years ago and during a "search" for drugs they managed to palm all there Euros which were still in the wrapper from the post office and a wedding ring

Another friend(ex police) of ours carries a second wallet with expired credit cards and a little money to hand over in the event of a hold up

Its also well worth dividing up any cash and having it in different places(hindsight)

We take a minimal amount in cash and draw from money machines using Nationwide Debit cards when needed
Thank you sound advice and we even considered doing something just like that! Using all the hiding spaces! It's still a worry though I mean how can u tell if the police or customs officials are kosher or bogus! Might have second thoughts n just go to France

Cheers

Michael

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts